| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  46th Anniversary of Wayne Gailey Passing
Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2024 6:56 am    

On August 14, 1978, the legendary Wayne Gailey passed away suddenly in Reno, NV. Today marks the 46th anniversary of Wayne's death. Wayne Gailey was born in Riverside, CA, grew up in Corona, CA, and lived most of his adult life in Albuquerque, NM. His musical career stretched from Southern California to Alaska. Wayne played steel guitar for Paul Harper and his Westerners, Kenny Vernon and the Boondockers, and for his own band, Swamproot. Wayne recorded his steel guitar on two of Rose Maddox's albums, several of Kenny Vernon's songs, and on many other projects he was involved in producing. Wayne also loved his family very much, and we sure do miss him! Rest in peace, Dad!! We love you!
Children; Patty (Tom), Melissa (Darren), Mark, sister Marlene (Les)

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2024 8:27 am    

Yes, I met him at The Navaho Hogan in Colorado Springs when he was playing with Kenny Vernon. That was in the Spring of 1971 while I was in training at Ft Carson. I had only been playing steel for 6 months and I watching him intently. Great player. I was so impressed, when I got out of the Army I had to buy a pair of calf skin zippered ankle high cowboy boots like he wore. Very flexible for playing the pedals. I have a 45 of Kenny Vernon/Lawanda Lindsey.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2024 9:53 am    

Thank you for sharing that story Dennis.
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2024 10:15 am    

Thanks for posting Tom.
Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2024 1:11 pm    

It is my honor to post these, Joe....and you are very welcome!
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2024 7:51 pm     Wayne Gailey

Sad day for me when I heard of his passing. To date I have yet to hear anyone play any better than he did and I have heard most of them. I have met many steel players in the last 60 odd years but Wayne is still my favorite. I broke several G# strings on his Fender 1000 with 10 strings when he would let me sit down to it.

You say a Fender 1000 was only 8 strings and that is true but Wayne made his a 10 string e9th and an 11 string 6th if my memory is correct. I know he had 10 on the 9th.

Only 1 Wayne Gailey will pass this way.
Tom Alexander

Anchor Point, Alaska
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 10:19 am    

Thank you, George. Patty says hello from Alaska also! Always enjoy your posts about Wayne Gailey.