| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender volume/tone pedal
Chris Tulloch

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2024 7:45 am    

Just received today, a pretty-immaculate 70’s Fender Volume/tone pedal. Many thanks to a member (original post gone unfortunately) who suggested you need “Full volume on the instrument” which solved my initial disappointment. I really only need the pedal for that “boo-wah” effect, as (still learning) I just play along with Wayne Hancock sort-of stuff. It sounds great with full volume on the lap-steel & a little MojoMojo overdrive.

I made the lap-steel & put a 1meg tone-pot which works a treat - but being a complete newbie, I didn't think - it's in the wrong place while playing! Which is why I bought the pedal ...

Here’s the nub; I find the sideways movement on the Fender pedal really stiff .. have to take my shoes off & even in stocking’d feet it’s hard to move. Any ideas for making it move easier? I haven’t yet looked inside but I’ve seen photos & it looks kinda scary!

Many thanks
Chris
Chris Tulloch

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2024 7:49 am    

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2024 1:16 pm    

Cool looking lapsteel. I can't answer the volume pedal question. I just know the pedal is tricky inside.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2024 1:32 pm    

There are little ball bearings in a track within the pedal, but a lot of times they get hung up and even fall out. It’s fine if they fall out, and if they are causing binding its better to pull them out. Drop some 3 in 1 oil under the foot plate and move it back and forth a few times, that usually does the trick.
Chris Tulloch

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2024 4:05 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Cool looking lapsteel. I can't answer the volume pedal question. I just know the pedal is tricky inside.

Thanks Larry. I’m contemplating turning it into a 7-string and tuning it A6. The neck & the nut are just wide enough .. I just need to find some L-angled metal to replace the ebay-bought “hard tail" 6-string bridge. The pickups are 12-string pickups anyway so the extra string will have a home!

Last edited by Chris Tulloch on 17 Aug 2024 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Tulloch

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2024 4:06 pm    

Brett Lanier wrote:
There are little ball bearings in a track within the pedal, but a lot of times they get hung up and even fall out. It’s fine if they fall out, and if they are causing binding its better to pull them out. Drop some 3 in 1 oil under the foot plate and move it back and forth a few times, that usually does the trick.

Thanks Brett. I’ll try it out.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2024 9:38 pm    

The reissue vol/tone pedals are very stiff, side to side. Inside there is a nut in the center that holds the swivel on. Loosening the nut will make the action easier. Careful not to loosen it too much or you will lose the little bee-bee ball bearing.