| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peterson Tuner-Programming Custom Sweeteners
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 1:01 pm    

I have a simple way of tuning my pedal steel guitar, using an inexpensive tuner that I can easily move from 442 to 441 to 440 etc.

I recently acquired a Peterson Stomp Classic and would like to save my settings to it.

Do I need to have my settings written down with offsets + or - out to a couple of decimal points, or is there a way to simply enter 441 and it calculates that for me?

Any guidance you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~Lee
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 3:06 pm    

You have to go to the Peterson website to create your own tuning. I found the presets to be good. But follow this link:
https://www.petersontuners.com/sweeteners/custom/
Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2024 1:47 am    

Thanks for asking this question Lee, I’ve been wanting to do the same thing but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’ll be curious to hear how it goes for you.
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2024 8:11 am    

Your offset preference input will display like a graphic eq with a visual band you can slide for each note in your tuning system. It reads cent values up or down. You have to do a bit of translation if you're used to thinking in hz. The simplest way to approach it is by viewing each hz setting away from 440 as being 4 cents. So if you tune your Es at 441 for example, as I do, you enter "+4". A straight up setting with no offset for any pitch would be "0". If you tune open G# to 439hz, for example, you would enter "-4". You can adjust within a tenth of a cent if necessary.
Jay Coover

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2024 4:45 pm    

You can do either. If all you want to do is slide all the notes up or down, you can enter 441, 442, etc.

Usually though, steel guitars are tuned with different offsets for every string.

Either method can be accomplished, but if you just want to change all the strings by an equal amount, you won't need to do any custom preset programming on the website. You'll just make that simple change on your tuner.