| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rebuilding an older steel
Andre Dardeau

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2024 9:48 am    

hi yall, I’m getting to the point in playing where I’m about to start playing gigs again in the fall after our bass man took off for Maine to get away from the New Orleans summer and I’d really like to have a backup/something to leave set up if I want to be able to practice without having to lug my steel up and down stairs and set it up and tear it down if I have a couple gigs back to back. I had some bucks lined up earlier in the summer but had a bad run of car luck and as my wife put it, if you can’t drive there’s no gig!

I’m broker than I have been in about 25 years and at the rate I’m earning it’s gonna be a hot second before I get my funds back up to the 3-4k area to get something that would be better than the Encore I’m playing now. So here’s the question: would it be worth it for me to buy a kinda beat older steel that I know I can get parts for and slowly rebuild it? I have had no problems working on my encore ever since Doug clued me in on how to set up the reversing levers and have spent a good amount of time learning how to change the copedent and generally screwing around under there. My previous guitar was an Emmons GS 10 and for the most part got that to play pretty dang well for it being in crappy shape when I got it and having no experience or help other than “Methodology”. I’m not scared of taking it slow and getting it right.

Am I asking for heartache and a boat-like money pit? Or would I be realistically able to turn something like an old shobud s10 into something I can use as a reliable backup? Should I just pinch pennys until I get my money right to buy something in good shape and reliable? So far the Encore has been rock solid and I definitely don’t expect it to fail, it would just be a bummer to have to call out on a gig because I don’t have a backup.
Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 7:15 am    

Just my opinion but I don't think there is much out there better than your Encore. especially a fixer upper. I think I would look for another encore or maybe a stage one.
Andre Dardeau

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 7:21 am    

I thought about another encore, but variety is also nice.