| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno Freeloader vs built in Strobostomp buffer
Kirk Adolph

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2024 12:59 pm    

Hi there,

I'm newer to pedal steel and I recently got a Strobostomp mini for my pedal steel instead of just using the Stroboclip and have obviously noticed a huge difference in tone due to the built in buffer. It's got me wondering now if something like the Sarno Freeloader would give me even better results? With the Strobostomp Mini input impedance being 5M ohm and the Freeloader being variable between 15k-1M Ohms I'm curious how much of a difference that would make. Thanks!
Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2024 2:06 pm     Freeloader

The variable load on the Freeloader acts like a mellow tone control. As you increase the load that the pickup sees (lower impedance) it rolls the highs off in a very nice way.
Note that the pickup has to be plugged directly into the Freeloader in order to work.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can achieve the same effect with you Strobo Stomp. Just make up a box with a pot in it and put that in between the pickup and the Strobo.

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2024 7:28 am    

I use a Freeloader and a Stobostomp. I use the Strobostomp in Mute Mode in series with my volume pedal. There is a complete bypass when not in mute. I use the Freeloader for on-the-fly tone tweaking. The volume pedal and Strobostomp are in the effects loop.
Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2024 11:13 am    

I run my Strobostomp from the tuner out on my Freeloader. I don't like playing without the Freeloader! And I don't need either the buffer or a bypass - if I want the steel to stop making noise, that's what the volume pedal is for.

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2024 8:20 pm    

The impedance affects the main treble peak of the pickup's tone. Basically it's a bright-mellow control, and maxed at 1 Meg Ohm, that's brighter than you'd probably ever want. So that 5 Megs of the tuner's buffer, just way too high (harsh, bright) for steel pickups, just fine for piezo acoustic pickups.

Brad
Kirk Adolph

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 1:37 pm    

Thanks everyone.

Before I got the strobostomp I tried using my Polytune's bonafide buffer that also has a 1M ohm input. It didn't seem to make much of a difference with my 705 pickup like the Strobostomp has. But it could just be the quality of the Polytune's buffer or not being designed for pedal steel.

I really like the idea of having tone control similar to a tone pot on a guitar (and not have to reach down on the ground), so I will definitely plan to pick up a freeloader.
Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 2:05 pm    

Kirk, You do not have to deal with the Strobostomp buffer. There are three modes, and one is a complete bypass. Or you can use the tuner out on your volume pedal or the Freeloader. From the Stomp Mini Manual
Quote:
True Bypass Operation
In this mode, the instrument signal flows through the tuner circuits only when muted by the stomp switch to enable silent tuning. When the tuner is bypassed or un-muted, both the input and the output are physically disconnected from the tuner circuit and the tuner is switched off. This allows the instrument signal to flow freely from input to output without any physical or electronic contact with the tuner’s internal circuits.

I tune maybe twice during a gig. When I set up the guitar, and sometimes along the the way.
Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2024 9:47 pm    

I also use the Strobostomp in full bypass mode, but with a Hilton volume pedal. The biggest difference that I have appreciated is using a volume pedal that does not affect tone - such as the Hilton. Prior to that I used an Ibanez digital delay whose buffer was a good match for the tone that I enjoy. Someone has an SGF signature that says “everything affects everything”, and that is certainly true so it depends on what else you have in the signal chain.