| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tony Browne Bring Me Sunshine
John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 5:27 am    

Hey all

Been working doing a lot of tabs lately, when I came across this one by Tony Browne

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUy-D9hlsIc

I always assumed that this was a British song and was used as a signature tune by the English Comedy Duo "Morecambe and Wise". It was recorded by The Mills Bros, in 1968.

Does anyone over the ocean there know this tune?

Tony did a good job on it, before he left this world. I'm halfway through working on it.

J.R.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 6:47 am    

Yes, this tune was on a Chet Atkins album: Yestergroovin' (1970). I wore that album out back in the day. I always assumed the tune was a Chet Atkins original because I'd never heard it anywhere else. According to Google, it's also been covered by Wille Nelson, Brenda Lee, Mickey Gilley and many others.
John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 7:54 am     Willie

Doug

Yes I know "Willie" did it, just that I asked an American friend who I regularly email about the song and had never heard of it!

As I said, the song is well know over here due to the comedy duo: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfXjDELeW5M Ha!

J.R.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 8:50 am    

Quote:
I asked an American friend who I regularly email about the song and had never heard of it!

I had never heard of it either (I didn't recognize the title). Then I did a Google search and realized that it was on a Chet Atkins album I had 50 years ago! So I listened to it on YouTube and then I remembered it. Bottom line... it's not well know here.
John Rockefeller

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 1:27 pm    

Never heard it or heard of it. Tony Browne did it so well!
David Alley

St. Louis, MO, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2024 5:22 pm     john

When you get finish with bring me sunshine I would
Like an copy
Thanks John

David Alley picksbar@yahoo.com
William Kendrick

Bedford Heights, Ohio, USA (Goes by first name "Bill")
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2024 1:31 pm    

The song also has a lot of notariety, John. Thanks to https.//en.wikipedia.org.

The 30 November 1968 edition of Billboard magazine predicted that Willie Nelson's version of "Bring Me Sunshine" (produced by Chet Atkins and Felton Jarvis), would reach the Top 20 in the Country Single Charts, eventually reaching #13 in 1969. It was included in 1974 on the budget compilation album, Spotlight on Willie Nelson. A different mix appears on Nelson's 2009 album Naked Willie; this version is featured in the closing credits of the 2010 film The Crazies. In 2013, Willie Nelson's version was used as the theme to ITV sitcom The Job Lot.

The song has also been recorded by:

1969 Brenda Lee, on her album, Johnny One Time.
1969 Jack Greene, on his album, Statue of a Fool.
1970 Chet Atkins, on his album, Yestergroovin'.
1971 Liz Damon's Orient Express, on their eponymous album.
1974 Willie Nelson, on his album, Spotlight on Willie Nelson.
1978 Mickey Gilley, on his album, Mickey at Gilleys.
1999 Cliff Adams Singers, on their album, Sing Something Simple Collection: Sentimental Journey.
2003 Mrs Mills (Gladys Mills), on her album, The Very Best of Mrs. Mills.
2006 Richard Shelton, on his album, Top Cat.
2010 Foster & Allen, on their album of the same name, which peaked at number 14 in March 2011 in the New Zealand charts.
2011 Oleg Frish with Patrick Williams & His Big Band, on the album, Bring Me Sunshine.
2012 The Jive Aces on their album King of the Swingers: A Salute to Louis Prima
2014 Violetta Zironi for the TV commercial of the popular Italian brand of cookies Pavesini.
2017 Michael Ball & Alfie Boe with the Rays of Sunshine Children's Choir & Friends to raise money for the Rays of Sunshine Children's Charity.
Ken Bruce and his then travel reporter Lynn Bowles recorded a version for charity.
Singer Ashleigh Wood recorded a version for her album My Journey in homage to the town of Morecambe.

Nashville, TN.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2024 11:16 am     Tony Browne, "Bring Me Sunshine"

Please add me to the list for this song when it's finished. If its' for sale, I'll buy it. Thanks, Ray