| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with a lick (James Hand - Baby Don’t Tell Me That)
Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2024 10:14 pm    

Hi all,

The song is Baby, Baby, Don’t Tell Me That by James Hand.

I’m having trouble figuring out this short bouncey Keyboard chord lick he does here at about the 51 second mark on the first steel solo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IqTwy9AYLNY

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Cody
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2024 9:41 am    

That's a really great ride.

I'm out of town so can't check this on my steel to see if it's correct... but I think this is what's going on.

Song is in E.

When the band goes to the 4 chord of A, he slides up to the the A7 position (2 frets back from what would be the pedals-down A position, with the B-pedal and E-lower lever).

So, the lick is working out of the stock A7 position, fret 10 with B-pedal and E-lower. But to make it interesting, he's bouncing back and forth, toggling the A pedal down, and then releasing it.

This isn't tab, but you get the idea. In fret 10, hit the 2 higher strings together, then hit the thumb on stg 8:

stg 5A & 6B
stg 8L

stg 5 & 6B
stg 8L

Rinse and repeat that sequence three times. Maybe somebody who has a steel in front of them can try it out and let me know if it's correct?
Cody Coombs

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2024 3:48 pm    

I think you’re just about spot on with that one, I also had found you can slide up to the dominant 7th spot (three frets up from pedals down) and bounce the A Pedal. Or like you said slide down two frets and use the Eb lever.

I originally had tried to make it as complicated as I could to find the spot on the fretboard where it was. Thinking it must’ve been a big wide grip. Sure enough it was much simpler than I made it out to be! The best part about learning this steel by ear is there’s a million places for one run, but 9/10 times it will always be the most convenient spot. Heheheh

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction
Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2024 6:33 am    

Hi Cody, have you figured out the steel parts for the rest of the song? Any chance you've tabbed it out and would be willing to share?
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2024 9:37 am    

Cody Coombs wrote:
The best part about learning this steel by ear is there’s a million places for one run, but 9/10 times it will always be the most convenient spot. Heheheh

Truer words have never been spoken.

Can't tell you how many times I supposedly figured a part out off a recording and then struggled to execute it -- only to later realize it was in the wrong fret. Upon a close relistening, there would be a bend or something I hadn't noticed the first time which is a clue as to the right way to play it. Move it to the correct postion and Presto. Way, way easier to play.

Like you said, it's a little bit of a problem that we can play a lick in so many different spots on the neck. I try to remember to 'think like the steel player who recorded it.' He probably wasn't looking to make it complicated. If the band goes to a C chord, he's probably going to put the part in a typical C-type position, not 2 frets below that even though all the same notes can be found there...