| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lost Planet Airmen
Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 10:07 am    

My wife, Nina, and I went to The Freight & Salvage here in Berkeley last night to see and hear Bill Kirchen and the Lost Planet Airmen.

It was an amazing, high-energy performance with every minute enjoyable.

And, the band featured two steelers. It was a real treat to see Bobby Black still playing out at 90 years old, and Peter Siegel doing a great job on Pedal Steel.

If they show up near you, ....go!

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 3:34 pm    

Bobby Black was a big influence in getting me started on pedal steel. The Airmen came over here in '74 and BB is the only American steeler I've seen live!

He's still an inspiration - I want to be playing at 90 too! Smile
Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 5:54 am    

Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 8:37 am    

Slim,

Great photo! Thanks, I wasn't able to get a good shot.

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 8:04 am    

Bobby Black was and is a Great Steel Guitarist. I've been following his playing since 1978. First saw him performing live with the Asleep at the Wheel Band in 1979.

What I always admired about his Steel Guitar playing, was he approached other musical genres and not just Country and Western Swing music. He could play any style of music and play it well!

We became friends about 20 years ago and he's a great guy too. Wished I lived closer so I could hear him play live again.

Thanks for sharing about him and his music

Terry Wood
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 7:26 pm    

I had the privilege of seeing another Lost Planet Airmen reunion in Saint Paul earlier this century. All the guys from the original album with the Peterbilt on the cover, including the great Mr. Black on his big black Emmons. An excellent show in Garrison Keillor's spiffy newly remodeled World Theater. My smart-ass teenaged son, who attended the show with me and was not then -- and is now decidedly not by any stretch a country music fan, leaned over between tunes and said something to the effect of "so that's how that thing you play is supposed to sound." Ouch!
Dennis Belt

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2024 10:46 am    

The original Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airman are what got me interested in country music; they made it OK for hippies to dig those sounds by linking C&W to Rockabilly and R&B. I got to see them several times with Bobby on Steel. Always a great show.
I used to have a cassette tape of Bobby playing a bar gig with a drummer and a bass playing singer. Incredible tour de force of steel playing. They didn’t need another instrument.
I’m really happy the LPA are still playing with Bobby on steel. I hope they come down my way. Play on Bobby!
Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2024 11:50 am    

I've seen Commander Cody and the LPA a few times including twice with Forumite Dave Zirbel on steel. Tab Tabscott also played with the Commander on Northwest gigs.
Bowman SD10 push pull 3x5, Modified Hudson PedalBro, Sarno Tonic preamp, Evans SE200 with Altec 418B, Standel Custom 15, '67 Showman with D-130F in cabinet, Ganz Straight Ahead, custom Wolfe 6 string dobro, '52 Gibson Century 6.
Peter Siegel

Belmont, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2024 3:42 pm    

It was a huge honor to share the stage with Bobby Black. One of my biggest influences and a great gentleman. Still able to knock my socks off, even at age 90, playing no pedals. Just being up there watching him up close was awesome. And the stories...
We're both on the new Lost Planet Airmen reunion album; "Back From The Ozone" , BTW.