| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss Katana....
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 7:01 am    

Anyone in Forumland use a Boss Katana as their steel amp? If so, what are you using and why.
Bill Davis

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 9:15 am     Boss Katana

I use 2 Katana. One is the MK100 and the other is an rehoused MK50 head taken out of an MK50 combo amp. Our band is mostly amp less so the MK50 head gets used most (with in ears) VERY light and no pedal board needed.

I like the editing software for PC. I play mando and banjo thru them too so there are enough foot switch enabled patches to do a show. If I change settings for a certain venue, I can save that venues settings on the PC when I get home and load them into either amp when I play there again. I also have a Fender Super 60 (like a twin but only 1 twelve) which I love for practice but with adding a pedal board and the amp's weight, it's not gig efficient for a 72 year old like me.

Space
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 3:07 pm    

Yes, I have a Katana 50 MKII, and it is so good that it has been my ONLY amp since early 2022. In addition to what Bill has said, the tone presets are very useful, as is the auxiliary input jack, which turns the amp into a speaker and allows you, among other things, to play along with backing tracks through the amp. For steel, I employ a multi-band EQ pedal because I find the sound a bit too shrill when going straight into the amp.
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 7:21 am    

I listened to one of our great Steel Players “John Lacey” who was using the MK100 at a show. I had the opportunity to speak with John about the amp mentioning to him that I was looking for something to replace my “Peavey Nashville 112. I love my Nashville 112 but my ailing back sometimes wants a little relief when I am playing too much. The Boss Katana MK100 is now my second go to amp after speaking with John about settings etc. I use it for band rehearsals and small venue gigs..

GREAT AMP..great price…light weight

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 10:25 am    

I have one but it's not my favorite by a long shot. They seem to need an additional eq pedal to get close to a good tone. I use the software with a tablet but I'm not finding that sweet tone. Playing a Justice Judge SD10 4x5 with a 705 Lawrence pickup. But I have tried it on a couple other steels too.
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 2:27 pm     Katana amp...

Thanks for the replies!
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 7:11 pm    

Use the Forum Search button and enter Katana. There are numerous threads about this amp.