| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  sho Buds models
Terry Pendlay

Effingham Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2019 5:15 pm    

Can someone help on the different models shobud made.. the good and bad ones. thanks
Ron Spears

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 9:08 am     Good ones and bad ones

There are plenty of different model designs out there. In my book there are no bad ones. Some of the Mavericks aren't good if you want a Professional guitar. The early Permanents and Crossovers can be hard to set up and keep in tune but they sound great.

The early round front Professional rack and barrel models can sometimes be hard to set up if you don't know how but there is plenty of help here on the Forum. They are considered to be the Holy Grail by some of the Forum folks.

The two hole puller rack and barrels are easier to work on and sound killer when set up correctly.

The later Super Pro with 3 raise 2 lower changers are the easiest to setup keep tuned but I prefer the older guitars tone.

I guess I'm trying to say that they all have there own pluses and minuses. It just depends on how mechanically inclined you are.
Patrick Fleming

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 9:23 am    

so which sho-bud models have the hex cross bars and the 3 hole pulls? It seems like most models I see for sale are the round shaft 2 hole with the brass inserts or the rack style. What are the ups and downs of the round vs hex style cross bars?
Ron Spears

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 9:53 am     Field Guide

Patrick,
Do a web search for Field Guide to Sho-Bud Pedal Steel Guitars. It lists all models and the setup.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 12:49 pm    

Patrick Fleming wrote:
so which sho-bud models have the hex cross bars and the 3 hole pulls? It seems like most models I see for sale are the round shaft 2 hole with the brass inserts or the rack style. What are the ups and downs of the round vs hex style cross bars?

You'll see multiple types of undercarriage parts on Pro-I-II-III guitars, as the model names didn't change but the parts used on them did regularly all through the '70s. The guitars with hex cross shafts started around '77 when the Super Pro came out. The hex shaft guitars have cast zinc "pot metal" pedal cranks, knee lever cranks and 5-hole bell cranks, all of which are prone to stress cracking/breaking over time. As I understand it, the pot metal parts were developed initially for the production run they did for Fender in the mid-'70s, and then adopted in the production Sho-Buds as well. The pot metal changer fingers started earlier, they date all the way back to the 2-raise/1-lower changers starting ~'74.

Here is a link to the guide Ron mentioned: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2342990#2342990
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 1:52 pm    

One of the best guitars I ever owned was a Sho~Bud Pro III. I wish I had it back.
Doug Hall

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 4:30 pm    

What's this Sho-Bud D-model? s/n 8077 (reportedly , one of the "lost" s/nS); no model label on front. No label on the front. 6p, 2k.

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 7:24 pm    

6p and 2k sounds like a Crossover, their bodies were mounted in a black painted metal frame with the crossover lever in the rear apron. The 7xxx and low 8xxx numbers are not actually "lost", they just skipped over those numbers with the '70 Pro series because they had already been used on the late '60s Baldwin era guitars. Sho-Bud reset their numbering system to 1001 in early '71. The earliest examples of the "Professional" model from late '70/early '71 had ser #s in the 80xx range, but most of the numbers in that range were Crossovers and the equivalent S10 from that era (predecessor to the 6139) from 1967-'70, they were rack and barrel with wood wrap around necks.

Effingham Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 8:22 pm    

Hey Ian, re:your comment about the 8xxx numbers not being lost. Do you know if there’s any records of those numbers anywhere? My main squeeze is a crossover s/n 8060 that’s been converted to a 7x4 rack and barrel undercarriage and I’m trying to trace its genealogy as much as possible.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 9:11 pm    

It's not likely those records exist anymore. The person who provided all the Pro series numbers in the sticky was Gene Haugh, he worked for Sho-Bud in the later '70s and '80s. I believe he ended up there because he had worked for Fred Gretsch prior to that. He seems to have been the last person to have any of those old records. The ones he shared here obviously don't include any of those late '60 guitars, but the numbers 7001 to 8109 span from ~'67 to ~March '71. Your number 8060 is pretty close to the end of that sequence so likely somewhere around Dec '70 or 'Jan '71.

You could do some rough math to approximate where the numbers fall but it would be just a guess. If you were to assume the average monthly production output was fairly consistent over that time period, say 50 months for round numbers, 1,109 / 50 = ~22 guitars a month. Again, just a guess. If you look at Gene's list in the sticky, they were actually cranking out about 100 guitars a month in '71. https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1951049#1951049

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2024 7:50 pm    

Nice thread. Way back when I was a teenager, friends of my folks sent them a "mimeographed" sheet of used pedal steels... at a Nashville store. I bought a very, very used Sho~Bud and I believe it was a permanent model. This was 1968, and the steel was probably a mid 1960s model, D10, 8 and 3.... walnut front, white fretboard, and the little handles on each end.

In my first club gig, believe it or not, Lloyd Green walked into the Marysville, CA bar, and sat down at a table in front of me. I was shaking, but he was such a nice guy... he did mention my Sh0~Bud was a little wobblily when I used the knee levers Smile

Here's a picture of that guitar:

As soon as I earned some cash, I bought a new MSA (1970)... in 1972 my band started doing gigs in Northern California with Cody and Asleep at the Wheel (they had both just moved to Oakland, CA)... and around that time Bobby Black bought a new Sho~Bud crossover... he only kept it for a few months, didn't like it, and went back to his D 10 Sho~Bud... hope that helps the crossover timeline.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2024 2:36 pm    

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/32bmke/the_steel_guitar_network_field_guide_to_shobud/
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2024 8:50 am    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/32bmke/the_steel_guitar_network_field_guide_to_shobud/

The "Field Guide to Sho-Bud Pedal Steel Guitars" is here on the forum too: Field Guide to Sho-Bud Pedal Steel Guitars

Iowa City Iowa, Madison CT, Nashville, Austin, Phoenix, DFW till May 2025
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2024 6:47 pm    

On the single necks, the 6139 was essentially a 'Professional' on a single frame.
The next newest was the 6148 which was the Pro 1
1979 Peavey LTD
1980 Peavey Nashville 400
Goodrich L-120
Toured with Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Ty England & more
wcedgar.com