| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Modded Sho Bud… worth it?
Keith Humphrey

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 4:49 pm    

Hey all!

I’ve been on the hunt for a Sho Bud S10 for a few months now. I currently play a bone stock Pro III formerly owned by Jerry Hedge (RIP). The D10 sounds wonderful, but it’s a behemoth for many of the gigs I’m playing it on. I’m half waiting on the right LDG to pop up, but I’m exploring options. So here’s an option, and I want as many opinions as I can get!

At my local vintage shop, there’s a hacked up old professional that’s had the C neck removed. No biggie, that’s what I’m looking for… somewhat. The undercarriage is a bit of a mystery. The LKL is now D lower, and RKR is E lower. But there’s a mystery lever on the LKL as well that isn’t hooked up to anything, neatest I can tell. There’s also a LKR over next to the RKR, acting as a B lower I think. Does anyone know why it’s moved there? How hard would it be to get this to my copedent with levers? On the Brightside, the pedals work wonderfully!

He’s asking 1500. I think it’s steep given the work I believe it needs. But it does play in tune and feels pretty darned good. Any input is appreciated! Thanks all!

Pictures below.

Sho Bud Pro III Custom
Sho Bud LDG
Custom Shop Paisley Tele
‘69 Twin Reverb
‘79 Pro Reverb (JBL K140)
Keith Humphrey

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 4:56 pm    

More pics

[/img]

Sho Bud Pro III Custom
Sho Bud LDG
Custom Shop Paisley Tele
‘69 Twin Reverb
‘79 Pro Reverb (JBL K140)
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 1:56 am    

Thats a rack and barrel setup, and can easily be set up to any copedent you want, and when you get a good one, they work very well.Although the term "hacked" certainly applies to this particular D10 to SD 10 conversion, its nothing that would keep me from buying it,, That undercarriage looks pretty solid..It is priced right as well,not great, but fair considering what Buds are selling for these days.

If the rack and barrel set up scares you, there are any number of guys here that know the system very well, and can have it up and running like a champ in a few hours... Its a really simple and well thought out system, thats still viable in my opinion, or can easily be updated to Buds "better" pull system with barrels behind 2 hole pullers. I'll say this.. If you don't want it, someone else on this forum will.. Only thing is, it will still be a heavy guitar... Maybe I dunno, 10-12 pounds lighter than your d10... Might want to go to a single cab S10 if you really want size and weight reduction..... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 4:15 am     Re: Modded Sho Bud… worth it?

Keith Humphrey wrote:
There’s also a LKR over next to the RKR, acting as a B lower I think. Does anyone know why it’s moved there? How hard would it be to get this to my copedent with levers?

That is over there because it served as a change on the C neck (when you would be shifted over to the right-ward pedals).
I have never worked on a rack & barrel steel so if I were interested in this guitar -- and I agree that the price is decent -- my inquiry to the forum would be:

"if I brought my decent steel guitar mechanic chops to this project, could I expect to be able to move the hardware over to a 'proper' E9 LKR position with reasonable ease?"

I've added or moved levers on later model Buds but I don't know what unknowns might lurk with a rack & barrel machine.
Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 4:59 am    

Can't tell from the pics but make sure the changer will accommodate your copedent. It may be 2 up but I think the earlier ones were 1 up 1 down changers.

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 7:42 am     "one man's junk is another man's treasure"

Hey! Short and sweet answer. Lot's of guys on this Forum that could turn this into a real "cream puff". You just have to decide if you're one
of those guys! Good luck. Regards,RK😉

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 9:44 am    

Thats a truly horrific pad.. A proper one, installed correctly, would instantly make that old bud a lot more desirable.. A pad, maybe a refin, and a setup, and you have a great old Bud,,,,

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 10:09 pm    

Wow... yeah, in the right hands with the right restoration that could be an awesome Bud. I'm a fan of rack & barrel...
Serial number 2727? My 6139 is 2752. Given how many guitars Sho-bud was making then, they may have been made on the same day...
Pretty cool.
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 3:30 pm    

Made in Oct. Of "72"
We all agree. Very much worth $1,500. In parts alone.. It would take quite bit of work getting it fixed up "your way". If you are not a
mechanical type person, or you can't afford to have someone else do it, I'd pass on it. RP
PS...I do love it:-)

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2024 11:19 am     Agree with Bob and Ron

That thing is a “tone monster”.
Replace the pad. ( you can build one for about $12.
Polish it up. Find someone to show you how to set iit up and tune it.
And enjoy many years of use and enjoyment !
Don’t snooze on this one!

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2024 8:58 am     Re: Agree with Bob and Ron

Mark Shuda wrote:
That thing is a “tone monster”.
Replace the pad. ( you can build one for about $12.
Polish it up. Find someone to show you how to set iit up and tune it.
And enjoy many years of use and enjoyment !
Don’t snooze on this one!

Agreed.. If you DON'T want it, there are those here that do, believe me.. Buds in good playing shape have gone way way up past few years with clean S10's approaching 3k, and clean d10's even higher. That $1500 price is not bad at all in todays market, and there are guys here that will pay it... Might want to let some of us know who has that guitar if you want to pass on it...We just don't see buds at that price anymore.... bob

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2024 10:29 am    

With 5+5, there's a TON of music in that little box. I'm with Bob. Fill up the holes, put on a new pad, oil 'er up, and play that sucker!

Cool
Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2024 4:42 am    

Keith,
As Rick aptly labeled a "cream puff" shown in the photo certainly didn't start out that way. When I bought it, there was at least a quarter inch of dust on it and all the aluminum had a frosting of oxidation on all the surfaces. The guitar you show certainly has promise. I'll bet when reworked that it would be great, and sound great also. Go for it.
Ron