| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Player here, Levers question.
Guy James

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 12:54 pm    

Hi everyone, I’m new to the pedal steel, coming from guitar. I picked up a Mullen discovery 10 and I’m really happy with it. Along with that I purchased Paul Franklin’s modern music masters course which is how I’m approaching my learning for now. So far things have been good, but I’ve come to a bump in the road. When Paul goes through his knee levers explaining what they do I noticed mine aren’t assigned the same. So I began looking online and discovered that the knee levers are more of a personal preference for players adjust to their liking. Well, as a new y I don’t really have a preference at this point but since I’m learning from Paul I feel like I can’t go wrong just matching his set up. Problem is I have no idea how to adjust the levers functionality and I live in Hawaii where there isn’t a shop that can help.

Paul has his levers laid out as follows:

LKL + 4/8
LKR - 2/8 & whole step down using a stop (not all guitars will have the stop)
RKL - 4/8
RNR ++ 1 / + 2

My guitar is set up as follows:

LKL + 4/8
LKR - 4/8
RKL - whole step 5 / ++ 1
RKR -9 / - whole step 2

Can you guys chime in on my set up and let me know if this is a good way to be learning or if there’s a good reason I should get it switched. I will be moving back to the mainland in March of 2025 so I could get it switched around then but I just want to get a read on what my set up looks like to you seasoned players.
Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 2:32 pm    

Your copedent looks pretty standard Emmons, same as mine. Having the E's on the left allow me to better do the raise with pedal A and lower with pedal B. When I first started they were on the right and I find having them on the left is much more ergonomically correct for me.
Bowman SD10 push pull 3x5, Modified Hudson PedalBro, Sarno Tonic preamp, Evans SE200 with Altec 418B, Standel Custom 15, '67 Showman with D-130F in cabinet, Ganz Straight Ahead, custom Wolfe 6 string dobro, '52 Gibson Century 6.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 2:44 pm    

Older Sho-Bud guitars had the E/lower on the right knee left. If you learned that way, you might not want to switch after years of being used to it. My first guitar had E's on the left, and I'd find it equally awkward to play with E's on two different knees.

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 2:44 pm    

Thanks Lee, so the E’s on the left feel good to me as well. How about the RKL, am I missing out not being able to raise the 2nd string D# to E on the right like Paul? He mentions this as being a very popular setup.
Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 4:52 pm    

As long as you what each lever does I don’t think it makes a difference when you are starting out. My first steel had the raise and lowers split and when I got my Mullens it was all in the left. I just got used to it. There are advantages and compromises no matter where they are.
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 7:54 pm    

Hi,Guy.

As others have said, although your guitar is not set up the same way as Paul's, that shouldn't really matter. The important thing is that when he does something on his guitar... you know where to do it on your guitar.

The setup you currently have is about as common a setup as you could possibly find. And if you wanted to add a 2nd string raise to your RKL at some point, you could get the parts from Mullen to make it so. It took me 20 years to get around to finally adding that one.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 8:47 pm    

Knee levers seem to be a very personal thing.

Your guitar is setup a very common E9th Emmons set up with LKL raising 4-8 LKR lowering 4-8.
Roll foot left on A pedal, Move LKL Raise 4-8 slide up neck 3 frets same chord.
Roll foot on B pedal, Move LKR lower 4-8 is a 7th chord.

Mr. Franklin and some players, Like to have 4-8 Raise on 1 knee, 4-8 Lower on other knee.
With this setup, They can raise 4-8 to F and by moving both knees in unison, Go from F to E and with other knee to D# in 1 continues smooth move. Or from D# to F in one smooth move.

It seems there is nothing carved in stone where knee levers should be placed.
I switched to Jeff Newman's 12 String Universal tuning. Now 4-8 Lower is RKR. 4-8-11 Raise is RKL.
Lee Rider

Fort Bragg, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 9:34 pm    

Guy James wrote:
Thanks Lee, so the E’s on the left feel good to me as well. How about the RKL, am I missing out not being able to raise the 2nd string D# to E on the right like Paul? He mentions this as being a very popular setup.

I don't have that change, my 2nd string D# lowers to C# and 9th from D to C# on RKL. I find that a handy change even for my limited abilities....
Bowman SD10 push pull 3x5, Modified Hudson PedalBro, Sarno Tonic preamp, Evans SE200 with Altec 418B, Standel Custom 15, '67 Showman with D-130F in cabinet, Ganz Straight Ahead, custom Wolfe 6 string dobro, '52 Gibson Century 6.
Guy James

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 2:57 am    

Thanks for all the input you guys! I’ll carry on as is and commit to learning what my levers are. The left knee levers +/- the E’s is actually nice. It’s the right knee levers that are the wild cards. I’m learning something new everyday.
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 4:48 am    

PM sent.
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 4:35 pm    

Interesting that your 5th string lowers a whole tone on RKL... Perhaps that is a typo?
Quote:

Assuming this is not a typo, I think that lowering B to A on string 5 would be pretty interesting. A sort of half Franklin pedal on a lever that is not 'standard' per se. Lowering string 6 G#-F# is very popular if not 'standard' on RKL. Maybe that is what you have?
String 1 F#-G# is a handy change ( which you have ). I have that on one guitar and use it a lot.
I don't have Eb to E on string 2. I don't feel I'm missing it. I like the Eb staying put while string 1 goes up a tone.
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 7:25 pm    

So to be clear, I believe standard is:

RKL raises 1 a whole step, 2 a half step, and 6 down a whole step.

RKR lowers 2 a whole step with a half stop feel in-between, and lowers 9 a half step. And of course Es all on the left knee.

Learning the guitar I felt it was an advantage to having it standard. But having Mr. Franklin's course in the past, I think he's pretty good at telling us what string to lower/raise, rather than what lever to use. Just my opinion I would learn how to switch the rods around-it is a big deal for us beginners but so simple for most of the members who know the mechanics.

And I just got back a couple weeks ago from a family trip to the big island, beautiful weather there when it was upper 90s in the mid-atlantic. But after spending $8 on a half gallon of milk I was ready to come back.
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 7:59 pm    

As others have said, your setup is pretty standard, except for the RKL. I've never played a guitar that lowered 5 a whole step on this lever. It seems that RKL is the lever that you see the most variation from player to player. There are probably hundreds of threads on this forum of guys asking about and/or discussing preferred setups for RKL.

For me, I like to lower 6 a whole step, and usually raise 2 a half on RKL. Lowering 6 a whole step is a change that I can't live without, probably in large part because one of the records I learned a lot from when I first bought a copy was Buddy Emmons' Black Album, so the 'Danny Boy' RKL/B pedal lick became incorporated into my playing fairly early on.

When first learning, as long as you have the E half step raises and lowers, and a lever to lower 2 and 9, then you'll have a very typical and versatile setup. Nearly every player has these changes on their guitar (save for Lloyd Green), so just about any lesson or course will be applicable to you and your setup.

Also, in my opinion, you don't need to have any changes on the 1st string. I know it's popular with a lot of players these days, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. The first time I ever heard of someone raising the 1st string was when I bought Tom Brumley's Tomcattin' record, which has Tom's copedent on the sleeve. Tom raised strings 1 and 7 a half step on his second RKR, and on the occasion he'd use that change, I was always able to replicate the 1st string raise just fine with a string bend.

As far as Mr. Franklin having the E's split to different knees, and both of yours being on the left, yours is the better setup. I can, of course, get along fine with the Sho-Bud knee lever setup, however I strongly prefer to have both the E raise and lower on the same side, so I don't lose any knee lever combinations.
Guy James

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 10:26 pm    

Andrew Frost wrote:
Interesting that your 5th string lowers a whole tone on RKL... Perhaps that is a typo?
Quote:

Assuming this is not a typo, I think that lowering B to A on string 5 would be pretty interesting. A sort of half Franklin pedal on a lever that is not 'standard' per se. Lowering string 6 G#-F# is very popular if not 'standard' on RKL. Maybe that is what you have?
String 1 F#-G# is a handy change ( which you have ). I have that on one guitar and use it a lot.
I don't have Eb to E on string 2. I don't feel I'm missing it. I like the Eb staying put while string 1 goes up a tone.

Thanks for your response, it’s not a typo but appears to a little different set up I guess. I’m gonna roll with it for now until it poses any issue.
Guy James

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 10:36 pm    

Jon Voth wrote:
So to be clear, I believe standard is:

RKL raises 1 a whole step, 2 a half step, and 6 down a whole step.

RKR lowers 2 a whole step with a half stop feel in-between, and lowers 9 a half step. And of course Es all on the left knee.

Learning the guitar I felt it was an advantage to having it standard. But having Mr. Franklin's course in the past, I think he's pretty good at telling us what string to lower/raise, rather than what lever to use. Just my opinion I would learn how to switch the rods around-it is a big deal for us beginners but so simple for most of the members who know the mechanics.

And I just got back a couple weeks ago from a family trip to the big island, beautiful weather there when it was upper 90s in the mid-atlantic. But after spending $8 on a half gallon of milk I was ready to come back.

Hey man I hope you had a great time on big island. Hawaii is a special place!

Did you learn how to adjust the rods? Oh and how’d you like Paul Franklins course? I’m really enjoying the ground up approach. Tab is actually pretty complex when I’m realizing 😂 this ain’t ultimate guitar.
Guy James

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 10:45 pm    

Daniel Flanigan wrote:
As others have said, your setup is pretty standard, except for the RKL. I've never played a guitar that lowered 5 a whole step on this lever. It seems that RKL is the lever that you see the most variation from player to player. There are probably hundreds of threads on this forum of guys asking about and/or discussing preferred setups for RKL.

For me, I like to lower 6 a whole step, and usually raise 2 a half on RKL. Lowering 6 a whole step is a change that I can't live without, probably in large part because one of the records I learned a lot from when I first bought a copy was Buddy Emmons' Black Album, so the 'Danny Boy' RKL/B pedal lick became incorporated into my playing fairly early on.

When first learning, as long as you have the E half step raises and lowers, and a lever to lower 2 and 9, then you'll have a very typical and versatile setup. Nearly every player has these changes on their guitar (save for Lloyd Green), so just about any lesson or course will be applicable to you and your setup.

Also, in my opinion, you don't need to have any changes on the 1st string. I know it's popular with a lot of players these days, but I don't think it's strictly necessary. The first time I ever heard of someone raising the 1st string was when I bought Tom Brumley's Tomcattin' record, which has Tom's copedent on the sleeve. Tom raised strings 1 and 7 a half step on his second RKR, and on the occasion he'd use that change, I was always able to replicate the 1st string raise just fine with a string bend.

As far as Mr. Franklin having the E's split to different knees, and both of yours being on the left, yours is the better setup. I can, of course, get along fine with the Sho-Bud knee lever setup, however I strongly prefer to have both the E raise and lower on the same side, so I don't lose any knee lever combinations.

Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds the the RKL is the wild card and that I don’t have to worry about it to much for now in these early learning stages.
Bob Sigafoos

San Clemente, Calif. , U.S.
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 2:32 pm    

Play your new guitar for 5 years then you can start to change things. Just learning the basics of music theory and gaining muscle memory in one’s mind and hands is the challenge. Sure you can change tuning now but I suggest learning and practicing your butt off for 5 years then analyzing things. There’s no substitute for seat time with this instrument. Gotta get pissed off and frustrated and progress thru the steep learning curve. Try not to make it harder. Good luck!
Guy James

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 2:41 pm    

Bob Sigafoos wrote:
Play your new guitar for 5 years then you can start to change things. Just learning the basics of music theory and gaining muscle memory in one’s mind and hands is the challenge. Sure you can change tuning now but I suggest learning and practicing your butt off for 5 years then analyzing things. There’s no substitute for seat time with this instrument. Gotta get pissed off and frustrated and progress thru the steep learning curve. Try not to make it harder. Good luck!

Totally agree! Thankfully I’ve got a head start on the music theory side of things. I’m putting in an hour a day at the moment on this Paul Franklin course and then spending sometime just playing along with tunes.
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2024 7:33 pm    

Yes I did enjoy HI! Took our kids to same vacation we did on our honeymoon 20 years ago big island only. Yes it is a special place.

Totally agree with Bob Sig when he says play for years then change if that suits you-but again I had started with a standard all Es on the left knee. May be hard to change if you want to before you get to the states. But maybe not.

Yes I have done some rod work when my new Mullen wasn't quite what I wanted-my fault mostly. You will get it the more you look and learn at it.

Yes I do recommend Paul Franklin course. Save for when you have time to dedicate to it. I did a couple of years and will again soon. There is so much there-happy steeling.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2024 7:03 am     The Standard

The G raise on 1 and 7 is the only change that is not necessarily standard. Usually something is done with string 1, often along with 7.

It is fairly common to raise both E’s to F# with the C pedal.
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2024 4:34 pm     Mullen

Aloha Guy. I just read your thread from 7/5. If you get to Kauai I work on and modify / upgrade steels. Larry Shocked