| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel guitar lift kit option
Johann Schlager

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 7:42 pm    

Hello steel guitar community. I'm new to pedal steel playing and new to this forum that i love! I recently found a nice MSA sidekick pedal steel. I love it and it sounds great. The only issue i have is im a tall person, i saw that there is a possibility of a lift kit? I'm about 6,1 foot tall. Do anybody have links, ressources or idea how to resolve this?
Thanks for any help.

Best regards from Canada

Johann
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 8:29 pm    

To lift the front legs, without raising the pedal bar of course, you simply cut a piece of steel or aluminum tube the length you want to raise the steel, and slide it between the pedal bar and the collet on the leg. Pipe diameter will vary, depending on your guitars legs. As long as the ID of the pipe is smaller than the diameter of your legs at the collet, it'll work.

To extend the pedal rods, you could go one of two routes;

1. Buy the extensions available at the Forum Store.

2. Make your own extensions.

To do this, cut some 10-32 allthread, the length you want to extend the pedal rods.

Connect the section of allthread to the bottoms of your pedal rods using a 10-32 threaded hex coupling. I like to then crank a hex nut on either end of the coupler just to keep everything snug, but it's probably not strictly necessary.

10-32 should be the right thread pitch for most brands of pedal steel, but if you're unsure, just take one of your pedal rods to Home Depot and check the thread.

This is my preferred method, as the storebought pedal rod extensions only come in 1",2", & 3" lengths if I'm not mistaken. I'm 6'5" in my bare feet, so just shy of 6'7" in western boots, which are the only shoes I wear. I need as much as 7 inches of extension, depending on the make of pedal steel. For your height, 2 inch extensions oughta do nicely.

If you would like to try making these, PM me and I'll give you a few links for the correct parts/materials, and I can also go into greater detail to walk you through the process.
Andy Gibson

Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 9:06 pm    

I have 2 inch lift kit I can sell you for $50 plus shipping
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 2:29 am    

Something like these 10-32 m/f stadoffs for the pedal rods, and something like this for the legs.
Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 3:22 am     steel guitar parts

Here is one option
https://www.outwestcountry.ca/product/1-inch-lift-kit/683?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=49
Thanks
Wayne
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 7:15 am    

I am 6-1 1/2, or was when I was younger. 1 inch extensions usually do it for me, however people’s proportions can be different & it matters if the guitar you have is standard height. Might be informative if you could artificially raise it with blocks, dominoes or something under the legs & measure.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 10:02 am    

From the pictures I can find of the MSA Sidekick. The Pedal Bar is attached to the legs by bolts that pass through the legs and secured by wingnuts, Like the MSA Classic series used.

Mark the front leg length, Loosen the adjuster collar, remove inter tubing. Insert a snug fitting piece of dowel rod, Cut to length for make proper height of steel you want.
Do the other front leg so you have the length matched.

Ace Hardware or other hardware stores should have Hex 10-32 connectors. They also have 10-32 X 1" set screws. Attach hex connector to pedal rod, Insert 10-32 set screw in hex connector. Attach pedal connector to set screw.

Either use lock nuts or some type of lock-tite liquid to attach hex connector to pedal rod and set screw to hex connector, Use lock nut to hold pedal connector so it is easy to adjust.

Good Luck getting set up and Happy Steelin.
Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 11:59 am     steel guitar parts

Bobby's right...I totally forgot about the bolt through design. he has hit it on the nail head
thanks
wayne
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 6:56 am    

Not sure why it would matter how the pedal bar is tightened to the leg? The spacer "lifting" the legs doesn't know how they are attached. Here is a 1" spacer on the front leg of one of my steels.

It's held against the clutch with a rubber O ring, which also prevents the steel spacer from marring the aluminum pedal bar. I can't think of why it would matter whether the leg is clamped as here, or attached to the pedal bar with a bolt through and a wingnut as on several other makes.

I like Bobby's idea for the pedal rod extenders, but at $0.89 a-piece from Zoro or Grainger, it seems easier just to buy the male/female standoffs in the length you want and have a cleaner attachment. They don't seem to have the 10-32 standoffs in 1" length (not sure why: they did when I got mine years ago), but at 3/4" you can get more length from the thread on the pedal rod.
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 10:29 am    

I USE METAL COLLARS ON THE FRONT LEGS THEN YOU CAN AJUST THEM WHERE YOU WANT THEM.INSTEAD OF SPACERS.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 3:16 am    

I am 6'1"+ and standard height - 30.5" floor to top neck strings - has always been comfortable for me. I have played steels that were 1" under and 1" over and always come back to the standard height.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2024 7:39 am    

It’s not necessarily about how tall you are. The length of your legs determines the level of comfort provided by a standard height pedal steel. If you are 6’2 and have a 32” inseam, you can probably sit at a standard height steel just fine. If you’re a 36” or more, like me, it’s impossible to function without raising it up.