| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strings, in general
Andre Dardeau

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 10:14 am    

I’m about to run out of the stash of GHS strings I have, and looking at the Stringjoy post I want to share some observations and see what all yall think.

I’ve been playing steel off and on for a few years, and seriously for the last year so take this with a grain or two of salt, I don’t have the decades of experience of some of yall.

I came from the world of conventional six string guitar and not caring about strings too much as long as they were the gauges that I preferred. Steel has been completely different in that the gauges don’t really matter to the feel for me, as long as it’s tuned right, but the feel of different brands against the bar, breakage, and sound from brand to brand have been huge.

GHS-my current favorite. Feels good, sounds good, stays in tune, don’t break. I plan on buying more soon.

SIT-felt the best, seemed like my thirds sounded more in tune, but I broke two G# strings on the same gig.

Stringjoy-I did not like the way that these felt the most, they felt like they pulled on the bar a little.

NYXL- felt a little draggy like the stringjoy, lasted a really long time, felt like the thirds were less in tune

I’m probably just gonna buy some more sets of GHS, but I’m curious if anyone else has noticed these things, or had different experiences with the same strings. Is there anything else I should really try, or different gauges I should try as a newish E 9 player?
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 11:58 am    

I don’t know which GHS set you’re using, but after trying LOTS of strings, I’ve been using the GHS PF 500 nickel roller wound for years, and can’t imagine anything being better. They come with the PG (pedal guitar) 3rd and 5th.. some sort of tempering I suppose.. but they don’t break, and I don’t notice any bar drag.
Everyone likes what they like, and that’s my opinion. 😁
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 5:06 pm    

I prefer Live Steel Strings. SIT are my least favorite. They seem to go out of tune easily. I've been using Live Steel Strings for 10 to 15 years and haven't broken a single string. I also didn't care for the NYXL strings. Not worth the premium price to me.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 6:43 pm    

I've tried lots of brands and settled on SIT strings because of price, availability, and they work for me. I haven't experienced the breaking or tuning issues mentioned. I have multiple steels and all are strung with SIT. Now for my regular guitars it's D'Addario on everything else.
Stew Crookes

Paris, France
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2024 5:47 am    

Dave Meis wrote:
I don’t know which GHS set you’re using, but after trying LOTS of strings, I’ve been using the GHS PF 500 nickel roller wound for years, and can’t imagine anything being better. They come with the PG (pedal guitar) 3rd and 5th.. some sort of tempering I suppose.. but they don’t break, and I don’t notice any bar drag.
Everyone likes what they like, and that’s my opinion. 😁

That's what I'm using on both of my guitars, and once I tried them I lost all interest in trying anything else Cool

stewcrookes.com
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 4:47 am    

I have been using SITs for many years and the last year or so have had the 3rd string breakage problem.
Never had that before and am testing the GHS high test 3rd strings.
I used to change my 3rd string every 3rd gig and now am nervous about how long they will last.
GHS are definitely are superior strings or SIT seems to have a problem.
How long do you guys trust or change your strings?
Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 8:16 am    

I play every day, and with the GHS, I change the 3rd and 5th about every 6-7 gigs.
I’ve never broken one, so I don’t know how long they would actually last, but I really don’t want to break one on a gig. I change the full set a couple of times a year, and the nickel roller wound don’t seem to lose their tone like others I’ve tried.
Andre Dardeau

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2024 5:55 pm    

I’m using the GHS Americana. I’m changing them maybe once a month, four rehearsals and maybe three gigs and daily practice. I haven’t had any issues with the third string breaking at all. I found a couple more packs today so I don’t have to make any decisions soon.
David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2024 6:21 am     Live Steel Strings

I like these...Live Steel Strings...
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 6:16 am    

It just occurred to me that altho the string sets I was using were SIT, The bulk 3rd strings I was using were in fact not SIT, they were JustStrings bulk strings sold by the dozen.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2024 8:38 am    

I use GHS because both my guitars came with them fitted and they are easy to get over here. I am totally content. Also GHS are the only brand I've tried with a 0.011 that works as string 3 on my 25½" Excel without snapping.