| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Archie Nicol
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 8:57 am    

I'm sad to have to announce the death of our old friend and steel guitarist, Archie Nicol.
Archie, who lived in Ayrshire, Scotland, had a great sense of humour. He passed away of breathing problems, probably brought on by Covid, in hospital, after a fall. He was 67.
He is predeceased by his wife, June, who passed away a few years ago.

Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 10:48 am    

Oh, no. I just went to his Facebook page because I couldn't believe it. He was posting just a few days ago... Great spirit, comic genius, wonderful caring person. I'm devastated.
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 11:12 am    

Always enjoyed his input. Rest in Peace. Arch!
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 7:31 pm    

Sorry to read this. He will be missed.

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 10:41 pm    

Very sorry to hear this. He had a way of brightening things up here with a reserved, dry sense of humor and good spirit. RIP, Arch.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 3:15 am    

RIP Archie. Crying or Very sad
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2024 6:56 am    

Arch was a regular in my early Forum days moderating the Humor section. There was ongoing silly teasing going on with a few of the guys (and me!)
They called me Queenie. Archie was The Bish, Jennings Ward, Farris,
and Tony Davis! We had a blast - especially Farris & Jennings. Tommy often reminded me of the silliness of it all; I reminded him that it was the Humor section - and having fun!! Of course that was long before the Humor section got too hot for me to handle.
I remember when Arch lost June, and We had a couple of heartfelt exchanges via Email. Several of us became confidants and spent time together over the years. Tony and Lyn were like family. Such a special group of friends!
Thank you, Arch for the smiles and memories!!
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 11:52 am    

Eileen Boyle, Archie's sister-in-law, is dealing with disposal of Archie's equipment. Please see the sales section. I must stress that Archie lived in Ayrshire, on the banks of the Firth of Clyde, just west of Glasgow, so shipping to the USA would be a big task. Local sales would be preferred.
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2024 9:14 pm     That is terrable news

I made a heart felt post that was incorrect about who I was remembering. Probably age related. Billy Murdock thankfully straightened me out on private message.

Last edited by Wayne Franco on 8 Jul 2024 6:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 10:04 am    

Donna Dodd wrote:
Arch was a regular in my early Forum days moderating the Humor section. There was ongoing silly teasing going on with a few of the guys (and me!)
They called me Queenie. Archie was The Bish, Jennings Ward, Farris,
and Tony Davis! We had a blast - especially Farris & Jennings. Tommy often reminded me of the silliness of it all; I reminded him that it was the Humor section - and having fun!! Of course that was long before the Humor section got too hot for me to handle.
I remember when Arch lost June, and We had a couple of heartfelt exchanges via Email. Several of us became confidants and spent time together over the years. Tony and Lyn were like family. Such a special group of friends!
Thank you, Arch for the smiles and memories!!

We might think of re-activating the Humor section in Archie's honor. I used to enjoy it.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 12:20 pm    

Very sad news. I loved Archie's sense of humor. His dry, witty comments that would sometimes have me scratching my head. Cool My favorite Archie comment was "I like kittens". He would throw that in whenever the discussion got too hot or too technical. Rest in peace, Archie.

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 7 Jul 2024 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2024 4:11 pm    

I might've talked to Archie a time or two on here, mainly about steel guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 10:32 am    

Yes, I've missed seeing his avatar, I always got a kick out of it.
Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2024 10:58 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:

We might think of re-activating the Humor section in Archie's honor. I used to enjoy it.

I did too, Alan! Very Happy b0b wanted his Forum to bring people together. He had a great sense of humor, as do I! But Humor is subjective - and we learned that the hard way! Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way for the Humor section to work on this forum without conflict.
That said, I so enjoyed the silliness, the smiles and laughter from those who played by the rules! ❤️ You know who you are!! 🥳
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2024 1:52 pm    

So sad to hear the news about Archie . He brought many smiles to many faces . Rest in Peace Archie .
Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2024 1:55 pm    

Donna Dodd wrote:

...Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way for the Humor section to work on this forum without conflict....

If ever we do bring it back, I would be happy to act as Moderator. I manage quite a few groups on Facebook and am good at removing the quotes and membership of those we go too far.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2024 7:17 pm    

RIP Archie.
Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2024 12:36 pm    

I and another Scottish steel player, Willie Gamble, attended Archie’s Funeral today at Greenock Crematorium near his home in Skelmorlie, and it proved to be Totally Archie right up to the end, his entry music - Nellie the Elephant by the Toys, everyone at the service was doubled up laughing, the celebrant taking the service gave a really nice service with many lighthearted moments, it concluded with the exit music Yakety Sax, everyone agreed it was classic Archie.
He really lived up to his reputation here on the Forum, he went out with a bang, just as he wanted to. It was a real celebration of his life, you will be sorely missed Archie.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2024 6:52 pm    

His avatar always got a laugh out of me. He was having a real severe problem with his steel or watching a scary movie from the look on his face. RIP Archie.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2024 7:00 pm    

Malcom, thank you so much for your remembrances. I know we all wish we could have been there.
Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 20 Jul 2024 9:45 am    

How I think he would want to be remembered, with a pint in his hand, and watching Glasgow Rangers kick the bums of Glasgow Celtic on the television.
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2024 8:56 am    

I just heard about this. I spent a considerable amount of time yearrrrrs ago exchanging pleasant emails and private messages with Archie. Sad to hear the "Kilt Guy" has passed. So very sad to hear this. I never did convert arch to any form of beliefs, but I liked him & the crazy fun times we all had back then. Missed Already.