Author Topic:  My office last night
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 7:01 pm    

My office last night
Tommy Allison

Transfer, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 7:18 am     office

Wow Keith,a six piece band! How much did they charge your group to play there?
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 8:03 am    

The picture doesn't show it but we had a large crowd, and a lot of dancers. Yes, we got paid, it is a good paying gig. The area where I live is blessed with several country music bands. New country to traditional county, and everyone of these bands have a pedal steel guitar player.
I play in two different bands. The band in the picture is the "Pure Country" band. Guys in the band are in their 30's, extremely hot pickers! I am the odd man out being 80 years old. These young guys have accepted me, respected my playing, and my age. It is a real morale booster to be accepted by hot young pickers. I promised myself I would try my best to not let these hot pickers out pick me. When you sit down with these guys you better strap your seat belt on and be ready to pick. Example: The guitar player took off on the intro to Gene Watson's "Got No Reason Now For Going Home." On the original record, the steel comes in half way into the intro and twins with the guitar on the intro. I pulled it off at 80 years old. Most young bands would never let a 80 year old guy join their band.
Tommy Allison

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2024 10:14 am     office

Keith, it's good to visit with you again, even if it is by computer. In my neck of the woods,real country bands are harder to find than hair on a frog. If a six piece band got a gig it would probably get paid a hot dog and a bottle of water (room temp.) Steel players are even harder to find. I don't know if Sandy mentioned to Joy or not but, I finally found a steady weekly gig. Nothing fancy but, it gets me out of the hoise once a week.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 7:14 am    

Great job Keith. Goad you are still active.
D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2024 7:29 am    

Charlie Foxtrots?

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2024 9:40 am    

Tommy, it is good to hear from you, your wife and Joy text each other often. I am really happy to hear you got a steady weekly gig. I am certain playing on the pedal steel helps keep your mind functioning. If a person does not use their thinking ability, they loose their cognitive ability. Then everything starts to go down hill.
I play in two totally different bands. Each band takes a slightly different approach. It is like the time I asked Ralph Mooney a question. I said to Ralph; "Why didn't you play some of that good stuff with Waylon Jennings, like you did on the Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and Wynn Stewart records?" Ralph replied; "Keith it would not have worked."
For you guys who are not getting to play in a band, here are some things I suggest. First, you don't have to be a hot picker to back up a singer. You have to let people know you are available. Even if it is a boring jam session, with 10 un-tuned flat top guitars, attend and talk to people. A band does not have to always play in a bar. Example, some of the senior centers pay more than the bar gigs. If you keep trying you will find some people in your area that have the same interests as you do. Get together and try to form some kind of simple understandable band. It might just be you and a guy singing, and playing flat top guitar. If you can't find some place the band can play, play your local nursing home for free. You will find that extremely rewarding. Then play for free in some local business, like a restaurant. People will eventually notice your band and you will pick up paying gigs. The important thing to remember is to not crybaby and say: "There aren't any musicians in my area, there aren't any places to play." Being a musician can be extremely frustrating at times. Before I got with this new band of 30 year old hot pickers, I was let go from a band I had been with for 5 years. Being fired was actually a blessing. Why--because people then realized I was not tied up and was available.
Tommy Allison

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2024 9:12 am     my office

Keith, I played some nursing home and similar gigs a few years ago but, most of the people I worked with are either dead or physically unable to do it anymore. As far as bars and clubs go, live music is all but extinct. REAL country music is even more rare. I attend a monthly breakfast get together at a local diner with some other retired musicians. I'm sure if there was anything going on they would know about. Anyway, at my age and with arthritis to spare, one or maybe two evenings a week is probably evough for me anyway. We sure do miss visiting with you and Joy in person. After my heart surgery last Nov. we sold the camper and truck and bought what will no doubt be our last new cars. I got one of the last v-8's just in case we should decide to get a smaller camper for short trips. So, who knows we might just get down your again one of these days.