| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin Steel Course-Bar Video
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 6:36 pm    

I've watched a few clips of Paul Franklin's pedal steel course on YouTube, and the first one I came across a few months ago was his video about the bar. I watched it closely before I got my pedal steel back out, and I realized when I started playing 24 years ago at eighteen, that because of cerebral palsy in my left hand, the Dunlop steel bar I used when I started playing would slide out because I couldn't grip it too well, but now with a polymer bar, I found out I no longer have that problem, using my Ezzee Slide polymer bar. Before I got my Ezzee Slide bar, I had no idea what size bar would work best for me on the pedal steel but I've now found the right size with my Ezzee bar. So, listening to Paul's tips and watching how he holds the bar inspired me to start playing again! I knew Paul had said in the video that the 7/8 bar is what a lot of players use, but I was curious about the size I should use, so now my Ezzee bar is the right size for me

Last edited by Brett Day on 24 Jun 2024 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2024 8:43 pm    

That's great Brett. I'm glad you're playing steel again.It's an awesome instrument.

Tony
Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2024 3:36 am    

Hey Brett,

One of the reasons Paul say that he prefers the 7/8 bar is the intonation is better, esp when adding vibrato. The length of the bar varies from person to person depending on the size of thier hands, Paul said he prefers a 12 string bar. I have larger hands so my 7/8 bar is actually 3.75 inches which is longer than a 12 string bar.

Best wishes,

Gordon
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 2:48 pm    

I have a 7/8" 12 string polished stainless bar, and a 1" 12 string chrome bar from the forum store. I like them both. I wonder if a bigger diameter bar would be good for your grip Brett? I say that because I have a friend with the same issue and the larger bar works better for him. I don't know what an EZEE bar is. I'm sure weight is a problem as it is for me with the 1" bar. I am desperately trying to get a BJS 7/8" 12 string bar but Butch is not having and headway on the chroming process...

John

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), and a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2024 7:19 pm    

John Sims wrote:
I have a 7/8" 12 string polished stainless bar, and a 1" 12 string chrome bar from the forum store. I like them both. I wonder if a bigger diameter bar would be good for your grip Brett? I say that because I have a friend with the same issue and the larger bar works better for him. I don't know what an EZEE bar is. I'm sure weight is a problem as it is for me with the 1" bar. I am desperately trying to get a BJS 7/8" 12 string bar but Butch is not having and headway on the chroming process...

John, the Ezzee bar is a polymer bar that is built in England by a man named Basil Henriques. I've found the size of it works best for me, so it's the right bar for me. Polymer is a type of coating that the bar is made of, and it works better for me than stainless steel because it doesn't slide around. My bar is a white color because of the polymer coating. It's my main bar for pedal steel and it's my favorite and best bar. My grip on this bar is much better than it would be with a stainless steel bar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2024 5:55 am    

Butch at BJS bars contacted me last week as he received a shipment. I ended up buying a 4 inch 7/8" bard. I have long fingers. I like it! Smile

John

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), and a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).
Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 12:36 pm    

I have a couple of the BJ 12 string bars and it really helped my technique. Can't believe it took me 40 years to make the switch.
Brett, thanks for the heads up on the bar you're using. I'd like to see what t does as an alternate tone.

bruce

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2024 4:28 pm    

Bruce Bouton wrote:
I have a couple of the BJ 12 string bars and it really helped my technique. Can't believe it took me 40 years to make the switch.
Brett, thanks for the heads up on the bar you're using. I'd like to see what t does as an alternate tone.

bruce

Bruce, the bar I use is called an Ezzee Slide bar. Instead of stainless steel, it's made with a polymer coating, and it is built in England by a man named Basil Henriques. Basil makes these bars in several sizes, including 7/8, 15/16, one inch and other sizes. My bar is a Sneaky Pete type bar, meaning it's bigger and it's a tapered bar. The tone with the Ezzee Slide bar is incredible, and it will not slide out of the hand and also doesn't make your hands sweat like a stainless steel bar would. The Eezzee bar is the best bar I've ever used and it's my favorite bar I've used in the 24 years I've been playing steel! I first found out about the Ezzee bar at the Emmons Guitar Company in Sevierville, Tennessee.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2024 10:45 pm    

A larger diameter metal bar is easier to handle for some people. If the thumb and finger bones can go below the center of the bar, Without contacting the strings. It allows a wedging effect on the taper of the diameter. For a firmer hold on the bar with less pressure, Causing less pain and cramps in fingers.

I play 12 string Uni, With a 1" X 3.75" 11.5 Oz. bar. I noticed last few shows my left hand got tired.

Today I went to a friends shop. Chucked bar in a lathe, Drilled a hole 7/16" X 3" in the bar, It now weighs 9.7 Oz. It easier to move on the strings and easier to stop, On a up or down the neck runs. Seat time will prove if it helps.
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2024 4:06 am    

I have a 1" bar and agree Bobby J. I was thinking the same thing, however I love the 4" 7/8" bar I just received from Bruce at BJS!

John