| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New (Used) Rogue RLS1 Lap Steel (21 inch scale)
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2024 11:16 am    

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new Rogue RLS-1 lap steel from Ebay. I need to change the strings on it since they seem old and worn.

I plan of tuning this to Open E (E B E G# B E). Using John Ely's string gauge chart, I came up with the following gauges for this guitar. Keep in mind this is a 21-inch scale lap steel, so I should be able to get by with thicker strings for a thicker and beefier sound.

Can anyone tell me if these will work well? Any red flags or something else to think about? Would these thicker gauges put too much tension on the neck?

6th E. .058W
5th B .038W
4th E .032W
3rd G# .026
2nd B .019
1st E .015

Secondly, what brand of strings are you using for lap steel these days? I use NYXLs on my pedal steel and could get some singe string gauges from them...should last a long time and remain sounding good!

Thanks in Advance!

Don
Bob McElroy

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 4:57 am     me too

Don,

Same boat for me. I guess the factory strings were meant for C6.

I tried a set I had that ended in .013 and the SOB bit me (high e snapped and lashed me so hard it drew blood).

Could be the nut, bridge, the actual string etc., but I'd like to avoid that again.

Mine is currently in pieces while I scrounge better tuners. I am also replacing and relocating the pickup to be under a harmonic (I find this useful with higher gain sounds).

Good luck to us!

Bob
Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 8:16 am    

Don, I found the factory strings too light. Even GHS set Open E tuning Gauges: 013 017 024 032W 042W 056W were too slack but with the increased 22.5" scale length that issue was solved.

I don't see any problem with the increased tension but I have just started carrying this to gigs so it's early days yet. Not sure how that relates to using other gauges with the shorter scale.

Bob, If you are planning on playing with a lot of gain you might want to check out this thread if you haven't already.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=401197

Hope this helps
(another) Bob
Bob McElroy

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 8:47 am     Bob, your other thread...

...is the reason my RLS is in pieces in the first place!

I have some scrap Strat guards that I am going to repurpose.

Your procedure and documentation is excellent my friend. I owe you a beer/coffee.
Bob Sykes

North Carolina
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 3:07 pm     the steel pickguard thing

I wondered if the techno-babble got too deep. Sometimes if there's no responses you can hear people scratching their heads along with the crickets Laughing

Beverage offer is much appreciated. I am happy to help. Would like to know how your project turns out. I'm especially interested to know if you use the factory pickup and its location.

It's gonna be tuners for me next I think. The stock ones are slack, installed backwards and annoying. Another "what were they thinking"? Rolling Eyes
Bob McElroy

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 3:37 pm    

Will do!

With apologies to Don the OP.
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2024 3:55 pm    

No worries. No offense taken
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2024 11:43 am     String Guages

Well I got my answer. Check out this video from Nellie Slide Guitar. This guy is amazing and plays and 21-inch scale Artisan lap steel similar to the Rogue. I think I will be using his suggestion for string guages as discussed. He talks about string gauges at 7:18 minutes/seconds on this video.

https://youtu.be/GZLC23FbKsI?si=sbhh0O0JxSd03vx-

Check it out!

Don
Bob McElroy

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 8:06 am    

Don,

Thanks for that video! I am going to try his .074 to .016 suggestion.

Will advise!
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2024 8:43 am    

Sounds good Bob. Let me know of your findings.

Nelly is a monster lap steel player. I know many won't like his style, but I love it!
Bob McElroy

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2024 7:23 am     Open D !!!

Strung as per Nelly and tuned to open D; big BIG improvement.

Unplugged and with RLS sitting on a wooden window sill it has a really rich bass response and improved sustain.

I need to lower the low string nut slot, and the tuners are at their service limit (can they make these any crappier??)
but this is a big step up. HUGE actually.
Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2024 11:41 am    

Glad to hear Bob! Nelly is an incredible talent!
Rick Rienks

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2024 8:26 pm     Open E gauges

Howdy, I can offer a little information from my own experience. My 22 15/16” scale length Supro 6-string came with a set as follows: 1. 0.13” plain, 2. 0.17”p, 3. 0.26W, 4. 0.36W 5. 0.44W, 6. 0.56W. It seemed to have been tuned to open E. Exploring various sites and realizing the variety of tunings I thought open D would be interesting as it was claimed to be good for blues. Heck, I played a lot of blues in the good old (pre-lapsteel) days.

I found there was a tubbiness to the low 6 in D. Eventually I realized that with no idea where to go for spare strings I should address that situation before getting too frisky with changing tunings. I went back to Open-E and then decided to order two sets of “Electro Hawaiian strings , EH6-15 from Asher Guitars & Lap Steels store. They are on the ‘net.

The gauges are: 15p, 18p, 28W, 38W, 48W, 58W. Their service was good and I like the strings performance. Open E works well, though I did see a video which suggested tuning the 6th to a minor 3rd. I gave that a try and got the desired Maj Triad on top with a Minor Triad on the bottom. I worried about the stress on the guitar, possibly needlessly, so I changed the 3rd to a 28W.

When I started playing guitar I began doing chords. This led me to finding work as a rhythm guitar player. I figured what worked once might work again. Learn to do chords to learn my way around the neck. With a bar I can play major and minor chords. I hope this info is useful. RGR