| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing Rhythm
Ron Stroud

Ft. Worth, TX
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 5:31 pm    

Anybody want to offer any advice, favorite picking patterns, licks, etc. for playing dobro as a rhythm backup in something OTHER THAN 4/4 TIME? I've got a nice banjo roll that works fine in 4/4 but I get ham fisted in other times. Thanks!
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 6:29 am    

Depending on the rhythm, it's sometimes useful to play the root and fifth of the chord. Assuming you're using open G, the 6th, 4th and 3rd strings can be plucked simultaneously or in a pattern.
Also remember that it's okay for the Dobro® to not play rhythm if everyone else is. That way it sounds more impressive when you do come in.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Steve Schaefer

Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 8:18 am    

Ron,

What banjo roll do use? I have been play with a dobro lately and it would be great to have some thing I could roll through the cord changes with
John Dowdell

SF CA USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 9:10 am    

What's the playing situation? Are you working in waltz time, cut time, something else? And what's the feel of the music, "country", Latin, Hawaiian, Balkan, something else?

If you're doing a bluegrass-y waltz, and need to provide rhythm when a guitar or mandolin drops out to play lead, then one approach is to hit the tonic note on the first beat (either bass tonic or an octave tonic pinch), then to "chank" on the two and three -- hit all strings with right thumb while the bar is just above the strings to get a rattle-y drumlike sound, followed by a quick right palm block to cut it clear.

But what else is going on in the group? There might be other ways to get some appropriate backing going...?

Regards,
John Dowdell