| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Harmos Steel
Terry Goodman

Daphne, AL 36526
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 5:05 pm    

What's the latest buzz on these? Anybody got one, played one, know where to buy one?

Thanks
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 11:24 am    

Here's Sage's site--
http://www.harmosmusic.com/indexHome.htm

I've not seen one of these but he's up to some exciting stuff.
Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 1:12 pm    

Terry: I had the chance to try several Harmos instruments at the Sacred Steel convention last April, and to listen to them in the hands of a number of the great S,S, players. They're wonderful instruments in every regard. The workmanship is superb, and the sound is breathtaking - these were easily some of the finest sounding lap steels I've ever heard. I can't imagine there are better instruments being made today.
seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 8:02 pm    

Let me add.... I played them at Scotty's this year. And also I have the pleasure of knowing Sage and have played them in my home. They are amazing - and I'm saving my money! Sustain, tone, and light weight. Plus they look great. I can't imagine why someone would spend almost the same amount of money for the Sierra lap 8 when this one sounds better and won't gouge a hole in your leg with its weight. This guitar blows away the old myth that you need mass to have sustain and tone - not true. The overtones are wonderful. The Jason Lollar pickups are killer. Watch as top players start using these more and more. Jerry Douglas has one I believe, as does Robert Randolph. Sage will be at the HSGA show I think with some demo models.

cheers, Chris

ps. With an AER Compact 60 amp or Domino amp etc. (ref. Carter booth at Scotty's) this rig would be amazing for Hawaiian or Country. Imagine being able to carry your rig on your back. A lighweight Harmos steel on one shoulder (about 7lbs.), and a 18lb. AER Combo amp on the other!!! The future is here - you can stop lugging around heavy steels and Fender Twins!

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature run wild" - govt. offical - Alaska www.seldomfed.com

[This message was edited by seldomfed on 03 September 2002 at 09:13 PM.]

Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 10:08 am    

Thank you folks for your kindness. We had fun in St. Louis. I am rather chagrined that Howard R. can't weigh in here yet on his. We had a couple of early design detail problems on Howard R's new Harmos that required him to return it to us for repair. If we had held on to it for a week and tested it properly (like I'll do now), it wouldn't have gone out that way- live and learn. The interface between the frame/body and the wood ends is critical, and we have improved the stability of the contact points and the tension anchoring at the bottom. I took it apart last night, and I know what to do to get it sturdy and singing again. I really appreciate Howard's patience and understanding in this- he is great to work with- as have been all of the folks who have ordered guitars from us.
T. Sage Harmos
Harmos Steel Guitars http://www.harmosmusic.com

[This message was edited by Sage on 04 September 2002 at 11:20 AM.]

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 3:05 pm    

Somebody call my name? Since I've done a lot of posting lately, I'd thought that I'd hang back for awhile but "just when you've gotten out, they drag you back in!"....Godfather III

True, I didn't have much time to play and tinker with mine but the little I did, I was very well pleased. The lightweight really takes some getting used to. Every time I would pick it up I'd be so surprised at how light and manageable it is. The string spacing is comfortable, the fretboard is easy to see and the keyless tuning is a pleasure since you don't need a wrench to tune it. It has clarity of tone, good separation, and has that growling bite. I have the Sacred Steel model.

Last winter Sage shipped Robert Randolph's protoype to me , to deliver it to him at a concert here in NY. Sage sent it to my store, where I just happen to have a small Fender amp, a bar & some picks. Well, I did manage to drive some customers away but I had a great time playing it and that prompted me to order one. I hope Robert didn't steal any of my licks....

Sage is one of the good guys and I hope to meet him in person one of these days. Wish it could have been in St. Louis.

Doesn't Bobby Ingano have one? I was listening to his CD with Bob Brozman this whole weekend and wow, what great music. What a touch he has.

Anyhow, take your time Sage, I won't be missing any gigs..

[This message was edited by HowardR on 04 September 2002 at 04:07 PM.]

Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 5:45 pm    

Thanks Howard- I look forward to meeting you in person as well someday. Getting to meet your Benoit brainchild was a good introduction, though!
I made an 8 string for Bobby Ingano, and then before I shipped it I let him know that we had just made 7 string guitars available, and had moved the vol. control up on top in the next generation of models. Bobby is in love with 7 string guitars, so I'm making him one of those now instead. His will be different, with one bridge pickup only (as he requested) and an inlay in the Koa in lieu of one of the switches that is normally there. That one is definitely the Bobby Ingano model.
Terry Goodman

Daphne, AL 36526
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 3:53 pm    

Well, I have to ask this (although I know you guys are tired of hearing it from me). How does it compare to an old, pre-war Rickenbacher?