| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ShoBud Fingertip help/tips
Andrew Wagley

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 6:07 am    

Hello, my name is Andrew and I recently joined the steel guitar forum. I’m a novice steel player but a life long seasoned musician. I acquired a 1967 Sho-Bud Fingertip D10 9x4(though missing the lever of LKR). I got it for a great price and it so far has worked well for me to learn on(my first PS) and it sounds glorious! Anyhow, I recently joined a local band here in Weaverville NC, and we plan to occasionally gig around the area. My concern is that traveling around with this Fingertip may cause parts to break or get damaged. Mainly the little wire clips that attach from the changer end of the cross shafts, to the finger’s themselves. Is there a way to modernize the finger changer set up. Is the suggestion of that completely foolish? Should I just get a more modern steel for gigging with?
Nicholas Cox

CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 10:40 am    

If you can afford it I think you’d be happy having a lighter weight and more modern steel to gig with. At least having a backup can’t hurt.

Last edited by Nicholas Cox on 31 May 2024 12:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 31 May 2024 11:47 am    

Andrew,
There's no need to "modernize" the undercarriage for it to work as it was designed, Lloyd Green and a lot of other famous players worked them on the road for years. With a good setup, it should more than sufficient for your needs. Come visit us over in Sevierville, and we can get it in top shape for you!

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2024 10:25 am    

The 2 things to figure into choosing a gigging guitar is, How old/And how heavy is the guitar? And How old am I. Can I handle the gear on a Gig by myself. From house to car, Car to stage, Stage to car, Back in the house at home.
Jason Duguay

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2024 8:22 am    

Congrats on a fine guitar! Fingertips are wonderful, unique instruments..That said, if you are new to the pedal steel having someone look it over sure makes sense. Here is mine that I gig and record with regularly. Have fun!