| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 400 with Unusual Fret Markers.
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 3:28 pm    

You take care as well, sir. Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 6:12 pm    

Daniel Flanigan wrote:
So, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. There's a guy on Reverb with a Long-Scale Fender 400 in Daphne Blue, which looks as though it may be the original paint, as there's no sign of another color in the dings/chips in the finish, and the undercarriage is also Daphne. Of course, it could have been refinished and just had all of the original paint blasted off beforehand. He's calling it a '59, although if it really is an original Daphne Blue custom order, that'd make it at least a '60. It appears to be in pretty good shape. He's asking an insane $2299 for it, so I made an offer of $675 just for fun. To my amazement, he made a counter offer of $1000. I feel like $1000 is still to much for it, but I'm kinda tempted. Mr. Carlucci, Mr. Hinson, what do you think? Do you see anything wrong with it that I missed, and would $1000 be an alright price for it?

Considering the condition, which I'd rate at fair-to-good, I think $800-$1,000 is probably a fair price in today's inflated market. I doubt the finish is original for two reasons. First, as I'd date that guitar to late '58 or 1959, and I don't think they were doing custom colors on the Model 400 that early. And second, if you compare the rust on chrome parts to the painted wood, the wood finish is in far better condition, which leads me to believe the body has been repainted. Also, it's odd there are no pics of the front of the guitar so you could see the body and pedalboard decals?

I don't know your experience level with pedal steels, but this is an old cable-operated guitar, and they don't play or "feel" like rodded guitars. Nor do they have the capabilities of a modern instrument. In other words, it takes a special player to want one of these to play. Winking
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2024 8:10 pm    

Thanks Donny. I figured about the same, I think $1000 is probably too much for it. As far as the limitations of the Fender design, I understand that it isn't as capable as a more modern guitar, and I'm alright with that. I am very curious about the feel of the cables. I sure wish I had decided I wanted a Fender a whole lot sooner, when you could get one real cheap. I used to see them in good shape for $200, and at the time they didn't appeal to me. Go figure.

Last edited by Daniel Flanigan on 23 May 2024 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2024 3:29 am    

Daniel... You might want to consider a later short scale Fender 800... they are much more capable than the old short scale 8 string 400 and 1000 guitars...

first off, they are 10 strings
also they have an improved double raise double lower changer.. They have cast pedals with easier action than older models... They can be set up to play very soft and easy compared to the older models.. I can attest to this because I have personally owned 3 800 guitars, and they played every bit as easily as any steel guitar from the same era, and in my experience better than most.. They are easy to add knee levers to if it hasn't been done already.. there are less of them than the 400/1000 by far, but they do come up for sale... Not really cheap because "vintage fender"...
They have a different pickup using a "Jaguar style" pickup whereas the 400/1000 used a "Jazzmaster style" pickup.. I would say the old guitars had a slight advantage in tone, but not that much, and the 800/2000 guitars still have a very recognizable and classic "Fender" sound to them.. They are BIG, HEAVY and kind of clunky like the old ones, but overall they might be a better fit for someone that wants a Fender cable job with a more modern feel... They have the same cable steel sound and feel that not easy to duplicate on a guitar with pull rods.. I can't explain it really, but there is something in the Fender cable/knife edge changer design that makes them sound the way they do.. Even with a pickup change they have that unmistakable Fender vibe.. Myself, forumite Dave Zirbel, and a few other players have videos on YT videos demonstrating Fender 800 guitars and their sound.. Another possibility are the Fender Artist pedal steels... these were made by Sho Bud, but used Fender made pickups, Fender changer, and Fender tuning machine "pan", and sound different than a Sho Bud.. Not exactly like the old cable Fenders, but the bloodline they came from is evident in their sound. They cost the same as most other pedal steels from their era... Just trying to give you some other options if you want to do the Fender pedal steel thing... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2024 9:56 am    

Bob, I would certainly love to have an 800 (or 2000), the problem is I hardly ever see them for sale. I did look again for one just now and the only one currently for sale that I could find was at a Guitar Center in Chicago. It's a Sunburst Short Scale with the original case, in pretty neat shape, but they want $2000 for it, and they don't even take offers. Granted, the shipping is only $17.50 but still, 2 grand seems extremely high for one. I'll definitely keep an eye out for an 800, especially since I don't think I'm going to buy the aforementioned Daphne Blue 400.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2024 4:22 pm    

Daniel... You can get quite close to the sound of a Fender steel by having the pickup on a Bud or other wood body guitar rewound with a coil tap... Fender steels used pickups wound around 8 K or so which is VERY low compared to what modern steels are using... I have had my pickups wound at like 8 and 12 K with a switch, and that 8 K position takes it quite close to the Fender sound... Its the next best thing and a lot cheaper.. When Moon went from his old Fender to a Sho Bud, he had the pickups wound to Fender specs.. It really works pretty well if you want that old school sound without the headaches... bob

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 May 2024 5:36 pm    

I was asked to check out that Fender "800" a few days ago. Had to make a trip out of town over the weekend. Typical of GC's careless research. The instrument is a 400, 8 strings and 4 pedals.
MLA

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2024 2:46 am    

Best place to look is right here.. If you want to find a Fender cable pedal steel, best bet is to put a post in the Wanted to Buy.. Lots of forumites have one or more, and guys do buy and sell them here on occasion , and most are willing to sell at realistic prices compared to "vintage guitar shops".... bob