| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What am I doing wrong
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 16 May 2024 12:21 pm    

I’m trying to tune my Carter sd 10. I get the third string open tuned to G# and then I press the B pedal and it almost gets to A, I keep turning the white nut and get A. I release the b pedal and now g# has de tuned . What do I need to do. Do I need t o adjust the pedal stops on the aluminum frame. Many thanks.

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 1:13 pm    

Yes, sounds like you need more travel. You need to back out the pedal stop adjustment screw a couple of turns.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 1:25 pm    

First, make sure you're not "overtuned ". Read this post:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326460
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 6:21 pm    

Did this just happen, Have you owned the guitar for some time?
Or did you just get the guitar?
Check. Before moving the pedal stop. It should have a lock nut on it. If the lock nut is tight, Something else happened.

Closely check the bell crank for the 3rd string pull rod, B pedal Bell Crank. Look at the row of holes in the bell crank. Is there a hole farter out from cross rod, That has grease, oil, dirt or Rub marks on bell crank or shine showing where the pull rod may have been installed. It may have fell off and someone just stuck in a hole that was wrong.

The 3rd string needs a longer pull to get to the raise note, Moving the pull rod farther from the cross shaft will lengthen the pull.

Good Luck finding the problem, Cure and Happy Steelin.
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 16 May 2024 7:33 pm    

Don’t change pedal travel unless it is not even with the others. I’d go with Bobby Jones’ solution.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 May 2024 7:01 am    

Did you just change strings to a new set?
Make sure the new gauges are the same as the old ones.
Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 May 2024 6:07 am    

Hi Brian, You're saying the open, 3rd string{G#} detunes. Does it return flat or sharp? It it returns sharp, then there's a good chance that string needs more travel. On the Carter's, there's no lock nut on the pedal stop. Just a set screw in the metal channel. They can be very hard to move{loosen}. If it's returning flat, it could be a number of different things.
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 21 May 2024 12:05 pm    

Thank you all for your help. I believe it is now playable. I don’t know what I’ve done to get it sounding so good. I do know I’ve played around adjusting pedal stop screws every which way, I’ve tried different holes on the bell cranks, I’ve adjusted the white tuning nuts, I’ve overturned and undertuned and almost went crazy. This sd 10 is heavy for me and I’ve lifted it countless times to get to the underside. I feel like I’ve been through a weightlifting championship. But praise the Lord everything works now like it should. I couldn’t tell you what the key thing is that I did. Once again thank you for all your support and help. Brian.