| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons 4-hole vs 14-hole bell cranks
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 1:22 pm    

Got an SKH with 4-hole cranks. Any concerns about those 4-holes vs the later version? Breakage? Some say the 14-holers allow more accurate timing of multiple raises. I can see that reasoning but is that really noticeable or that big of a thing?

Thanks.
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2024 5:18 pm    

Hi Eric:

I had a D-10 SKH back in the mid-80s that Big Ron sent to me. I personally never had a timing issue with the 4-hole bell-cranks. I wish I'd kept that horn. It played and sounded great.

It's my opinion that the 14-hole bell-cranks are much more subject to fatigue and breakage. I know that adjusting timing with multiple pulls should be more precise with the 14 holes like you said. But I just didn't have any problem with the 4-holers. On my D-10 LeGrande III, I've been through at least three, 14-hole cranks on my RKR lever. More holes = less mass and less strength I guess.

My main horn is my '69 D-10 Emmons Original. Those cranks are two-holers..!!! They work great..!!

Hope you're well man...
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 3:20 am    

Thanks, Tony. I appreciate the info!
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 4:31 am    

What Tiny stated. Although I’ve never broken a bellcrank I didn’t notice a huge difference in 4 vs 14. My SKH was a keeper and I let it go…bad move. I’ve been lucky enough to have gotten a LL that has become my favorite all time/all around axe.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin