| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1950s Bill Hall triple neck pedal steel
Mike Sliff

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 6:28 pm    

Hi there,

Jim Sliff was a pretty active member of this forum, as well as being my dad. He passed away last month. I posted in the Gone Home section, but I've been going through his things and trying to sort stuff out, and needless to say, there's quite a bit to sort through. One instrument that he did have noted to sell was this. It's listed in a spreadsheet of his as a "Bill Hall" Triple neck pedal steel. It is a natural birdseye maple body. The following is what he had written up:

"Stand up "console steel from the 1950s, someone added for Bigsby type pedals using large pulleys/cables. Three necks - the front with 10 strings, the middle with 8 strings, and the back with 8 strings. All have good sounding, handmade, pick ups with DC resistance in the 4.8-5.5 ohms C resistance range. 3 totally different all-pull changers, with the front deck, having a single raised finger for the fifth string (but the mechanism appears to have been removed some time ago). The middle neck is able to raise strings three, four, and five only using large polymer blocks. The back neck has a pedal on the lower side barreled, can raise string 5 only. With some machine work, all eight strings could be raised. Thick, clear fretboards with 3-OD flower artwork/position markers. Body is solid birdseye maple. Headstocks are machined blocks with original Kluson tuners in excellent working condition. Hardshell case was obviously made for the guitars weight, fits well, all latches work fine and it has four carrying handles."

For some reason I can't upload photos on here, but I have photos available if anyone wants them emailed.

I will be honest and say I don't know the value of this instrument. My sister and I are starting to sell some equipment to help pay for funeral/mortuary costs, and just because there is so much to go through, there isn't a realistic way for us to keep all of it. So if any of you are interested or have any input on this guitar, I'm more than happy to chat. Thanks so much.

Mike
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 3:26 am    

Try reducing the size of the pictures. The software here has limits.
KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 6:10 am    

Mike; I'm a moderator on the forum, so send me a few of the pictures you would like folks to view; and I'll post them here for ya>
send to:
sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Ricky
Well here they are NOW>

Posted by Rick Davis
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 7:07 am    

Wow; what a nice triple from that back in time; I bet it sounds out of this world.
Ricky
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2024 7:58 am    

Very cool! Would love to see the front apron. Also would love to know what price you land on.