| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Guitar and Nameplates
Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 12:49 pm    

I recently finished a refurb on a nice lacquer guitar. The wood grain on the front apron is just out of this world! I made the decision to not reapply the nameplate. I feel a little guilty about not giving the manufacturer it's due, but I've always questioned this practice. Nameplates on steel guitars remind me of nameplates on appliances such as refrigerators and ovens. Compare them to guitars that often have elegant script on the headstock, not a big nameplate on the front of the body/box. I'm interested in how other steel guitarists feel and if anyone else agrees. Thanks much!
Landon Jarrel

Space
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 12:54 pm    

I prefer an inlay such as those found on Bigsby steels, but an artistic nameplate that doesn't visually distract from the rest of the instrument is OK with me as well. I agree that nameplates can sometimes appear reminiscent of an appliance Laughing
Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 1:09 pm    

Totally agree, only real inlay on the new Sierras....it does cost $ though, no way around that.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 1:15 pm    

Your guitar, your decision. I like one on the mica guitars, but prefer not to have one on a beautifully grained stained/painted lacquer or poly finish. In such case, I might opt for one on the pedal bar provided it's not finished the same as the cabinet.

One observation after all these years of looking at steels, it does seem odd to see one without a decal/badge nameplate, I guess because some of them have been re-finished, re-cabineted etc.
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 1:45 pm    

I dunno... I have seen a bunch over the years without plate/waterslide/logo, and to me they look more "plain" and a bit more naked for some reason... I think it depends on the guitar and the "badge".. Some enhance the look and vibe in my opinion... Others are just too big and ugly.... A Bud's look for instance is enhanced with the script waterslide they used for so many years... Others as well.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 8:42 pm    

On my steel is the Jackson logo and on the side, it says BlackJack Custom. It will always have the Jackson logo on it because it shows what a beautiful instrument the Jackson Steel is-it says Jackson Steel Guitar Company U.S.A in an oval and on the other side of the steel it says BlackJack Custom. I love the Jackson Steel Guitar Company, so my steel has their name on it always!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 11:13 am    

Here is a somewhat related discussion, which contains a link to yet another discussion:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=157765

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 11:21 am    

I like to have my guitars pretty much factory authentic. I've replaced decals on my Justice, Mullen and Wiklliams guitars.

Just for fun, I decided to add this to my Mullen. I like to talk steel guitars, and having 'Pre-RP:' tells any steel folks out there that I am a true devotee.

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 12:28 pm    

In My Curmudgeonly Not-So-Humble Opinion... Very Happy

Builders of fine steel guitarists should rightly have pride in their work and would want to exhibit that pride.

Mr. Builder puts a lot of time, effort, personal knowledge and experience, and expense in creating a masterpiece instrument; letting potential buyers know the guitar brand will hopefully bring more customers to his work. When a performer plays an easily identifiable instrument onstage, it's an endorsement of that brand and is valuable to the builder. Removing any identifiers or requesting that none appear outwardly is a disservice to the builder, but if that's what the customer wants..., well, okay; so be it.

If I was a builder and my purchaser requested a guitar from me but without any of my brand recognition, I'd say to him/her "Sure, I'll omit my logo or decal on the guitar, as you wish. However, the purchase price will be $500 additional. Winking Would you like the non-existent logo to not be a decal, or not be inlaid pearl script?" Laughing

OTOH, I've seen guitars with the original logos, usually decals, faded or virtually unreadable from a distance, that have been replaced by something hideous (IMHO) and far worse than an indistinct logo. For example, some used Sho~Bud guitars I've seen having a faded or missing front apron decal being replaced with the large diagonal plastic plaques S~B used on their packseats and amplifier speaker boards. Totally wrong, looks cheap, and worthy of a significant drop in asking price.

Would anyone buy a Cadillac that had a hood badge replaced by a logo cut from a magazine advert and and epoxied there? Oh Well

Just sayin'... YMMV. Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 1:13 pm    

Yes Mark you would not write on the mona Lisa

Sho King emblem / old sore heads won’t let me use a Sho Bud emblem.although it is better than a factory built Bud.
Single over single Sho bud changer , Bud key head stop wide cabinet sound board .

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 3:03 pm    

Jeeps have a unique grill design, and Cadillac has those "exclamation-point" tail lights. Chevy had that "egg-crate" grill for a long time. But pedal steels? They're kinda disappointing in the looks department, for the most part.

At least you could recognize the old ZB, Marlen, and Fulawka guitars a block away by the endplate designs. Other builders seem stuck in the "purty wood" camp, and they can't (or won't) come up with an endplate deign that looks different or unique. Nothing wrong with focusing on pretty wood except that from a distance, one piece of wood looks pretty much like any another if it's the same color.

I do remember seeing one particular Sho~Bud in Bobbe's shop long ago (a "Super Pro Custom", I believe?) that had grooves or saw cuts in the endplates, and that actually looked pretty cool.

Come on, builders, git wit it! Mr. Green
John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 3:16 pm    

Still a work in progress

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 3:37 pm    

wow John... that's gotta be the most unique psg I've ever seen! bravo.

I agree that steels can look a little naked without a badge or brand name, I guess I'm just so used to seeing them. I can't really think of any that bother me, though I do have my favorites: Emmons, Sho-Bud, JCH among them.

there are some fretboard designs that strike me as rather gaudy, and I've never really been a fan of a player's name spelled across the front of their steel. aside from a few country singers who have their name inlaid in the fretboard or on the pickguard of their guitar, I can't think of any other instrument whose players do that. some drummers I suppose

when I ordered an ExStar a couple years ago, I admit I wasn't too keen on the new name and took matters into my own hands...

Last edited by scott murray on 19 Jan 2024 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 3:46 pm    

Cool Landon. At first, I'm thinking what's different? until I noticed the Pre. I like it.

At first, I thought I'd remove the big Fender badge on the front of the Artist, but now I'm thinking it might just look naked.

While I'm thinking, I found this little badge I stuck on the top of the pedal bar. I kinda like that.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 4:17 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:

I do remember seeing one particular Sho~Bud in Bobbe's shop long ago (a "Super Pro Custom", I believe?) that had grooves or saw cuts in the endplates, and that actually looked pretty cool...

Mr. Green

One of Jimmy Day's "Blue Darlin'" guitars had that type of endplate. It was blue in color.

I played his guitar pretty soon after Jimmy received it. I think it's designation was a "Super Pro II Custom," which was the upscaliest custom line of what I'd consider the last generation of S~B's Professional series. I understand there were only about a dozen of these guitars made. I've played two, and know of the ownership of only one or two of these guitars.

Anyway, I asked Jimmy about the endplates and he said that the idea was to reduce the weight of the guitar, but that he allowed as how "it really looked cool," accompanied by a standard Jimmy Day full-face show-teeth grin. Many here know that Jim had arguably the best, most expressive grin in the entire pantheon of steel guitar faces. Very Happy

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 4:35 pm    

anyone have a photo of Jimmy Day's guitar with the "groovy" endplates? I don't recall ever seeing it

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 5:32 pm    

I dig the Marlen nameplate! It's got vibe, and maybe other steel guitarists would be interested.

But I also think it's acceptable to rip that sucker off and slap on a sticker of a pig playing a banjo, if you want.

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 6:17 pm    

I own Blue Darling III, no unique end plates on it

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 6:37 pm    

did a little hunting and found some history on the Super Pro II and some pics of those grooved endplates... a cool look indeed!

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=314491&highlight=jimmy+endplates

South Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 12:55 am    

I think a makers logo is appropriate on the face of the guitar but…. Subtle such as the sho-bud.
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 8:43 am    

Logos under lacquer finish stop it!!
An New name brand steels with a persons name under Lacquer is a big no / no

Over size logo stop it.
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 1:51 pm    

My RusLer came with the logo in the middle of the front apron, which, I never really liked.
After it started to curl and come off, I replaced it with a new one positioned to the left side, which, I liked better.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 1:57 pm    

Righto John De. Better. I agree with that thinking.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2024 7:38 am    

This, in my opinion, is hard to beat.

(Or: only surpassed by one of those early plain 'Emmons' decals because then I'd have a collectors' item. Smile )

PS: I love the look of the new Resound. My only criticism is that additional logo on the right; they should distinguish between an actual vintage Emmons and the current 'wrap', but what they've chosen is too obtrusive for me.
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2024 9:19 am    

I agree, I love Emmons logo , and that little chromed frame is a nice touch , I just don’t care for that “65 Resound” sticker either