| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Left Heel Position - Move Heel or Plant It
Brendan Mullins

Northern California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 1:58 pm    

Hello,

First technical question here on the forum...I am a newbie and only a couple months into my (pedal) steel journey.

When shifting from A+B to B+C should my heel remain planted in a single position, or should I move my entire heel to the right? Reviewing this linked post the opinions seemed mixed: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=368925&highlight=foot+position

Watching Ralph Mooney videos I see he shifts his heel. I see Lloyd Green do the same. I wanted to find a clear Emmons video but couldn't. 2/3 I say I learn to move it, but planting it seems economical at the minimum.

Ralph Mooney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnFj1Mae9UI
Lloyd Green: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIotq20PsMM

I am about to start the Franklin courses and maybe will find a recommendation from him.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!
Plenty of other fun gear
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 5:44 pm    

Unless you wear like a size 20 shoe and have sasquatch feet IDK if it's even possible to keep the heel planted when going from A/B to B/C position. Even if it were it would be quite the strain on the ankle.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 9:24 pm    

I have to move my foot a little if I am wearing house slippers. If I am wearing high heel boots, I can pivot A-B to B-C and back without moving my foot, Just pivot on the heel.
Stew Crookes

Paris, France
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 2:52 am    

I started making an effort to keep my heel planted while practicing, along with making other small technique changes in an effort to make all my movements more efficient. Still lift my heel (frequently) when performing, but less than I used to and my pedal technique has gotten better and more expressive than before which might be more the result of conscious practice rather than planting the heel but it seems to be working either way.

stewcrookes.com
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 7:21 am    

I think it has a lot to do with how you are sitting/fitting at your E9 pedal steel.
I was taught early; that you sit with belly about at 15th fret; so your right leg is no angle between Right knees; therefore your left leg angles towards the first 3 pedals so your heel basically is at the 2nd pedal and makes it easy to go from 1&2 to 2&3 with heel on ground. Also that's why the LKL is usually angled more for the left knee to go kinda left and back to his square.
You can see in this video; how much my left leg does angle towards the first pedals>
https://youtu.be/IqmIKfL_VS4?si=jlFOvlns7k6HJWAs
Ricky
Brendan Mullins

Northern California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 10:51 am    

Thank you for the replies. I am going to spend some time working on position and keeping my heel planted. I assume this then leads to a conversation about pedal height.

The journey continues. Thanks.
Plenty of other fun gear
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 11:23 am    

Doing it the way you're wanting to is fine. What feels most natural to you? I would say, 'do that' -- and you'll end up a better player, versus doing what others suggest.

Sometimes, the forum will recommend some technique or 'rule' over another way of doing things and there's a solid logic to it (see Ricky's post about seating position). But keeping the heel in exactly one spot regardless of which pedal-combo you're using? I don't think it's significantly better (or worse) to do so. You can keep it planted -- or slide an inch over, doesn't much matter. The only thing that does make sense to me is keeping the heel planted when actually working the pedals since you'll have more control.
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 8:23 am    

I agree with the essence of what Tucker is saying, if I understand correctly, in that hard rules of thumb can sometimes be a little bit innapropriate and get in the way of the exploratory process that's necessary for one's personal learning curve.

At one point I was determined to get that planted heel swivel and economy of motion between AB/BC happening. I persisted until it was a natural motion.

I found that keeping the heel actually behind the BC position works best. When using AB it is then on an angle, about 11 o'clock, slightly outward, with heel on floor still. And use only as much foot as necessary. Crowding your left foot over the pedals will inhibit this process.

That said, in my humble experience at this point, it seems like half of the time my heel is planted and half the time the foot moves freely.. I feel its worth developing this skill though, even if it is not used all of the time when you're in the swing of things.