| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Wright exercises and weights?
Dean Gray

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 6:41 pm    

Hi folks, long time lurker, occasional poster here. I have been going back to basics and doing lots of the drills in Joe Wright’s Technique Bundle. I’m starting to feel and hear improvement in my pick blocking and using the third fingerpick is feeling a bit more comfortable.

My questions are for those that have spent time on this material and started using the arm and ankle weights that Joe prescribes -

Did you actually progress to using the weights at all?

If so, how did you do it? i.e. very light weights and gradually moving up? Med to heavy weights for short intervals?

Do you think the weights helped you or perhaps you have a warning about overdoing it? Is it just something that works for Joe because he was already at a very high level of technical ability? I have done a bunch of searches through the archive but not a lot comes up? I gather it was an unconventional approach when it first came out and it seems to remain that way. I really think the way Joe breaks everything down to the smallest possible movement and then drills them in all possible combinations is a great way to train your body and mind.

I still have lots to work on before I ever try adding weights but wanted to check in with people that have already gone through Joe’s courses.

And if he is reading this, thank you Joe Wright for making the analog years material available online. If there was a donation feature on the page I would gladly use it - the material you have shared is a treasure for developing players. I hope you are well, I understand you are not doing shows anymore.

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 4:35 am    

So It looks like not many! Or that those that did back in the day are not active on the forum right now. No worries.

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 9:18 am    

I still follow a lot of Joe Wright Method in principle. The exercises are very helpful. I never went for the weights. I think that is something he felt he needed and just put out there for anyone who wanted to try it. The point he makes, as I see it, is that pedal steel is an instrument you play with your entire body. For all the talk about “seat time” here on the forum, I think there’s something to be said for walking and stretching too.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 9:36 am    

I learned how to pick block using Joe's methods. He is uniquely focused on the physicality of playing and his approach seems geared towards training the body like an athlete might. Sometimes I think it is to the detriment of musicality and I don't think his approach is for everyone.
Dean Gray

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 5:58 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
I still follow a lot of Joe Wright Method in principle. The exercises are very helpful. I never went for the weights. I think that is something he felt he needed and just put out there for anyone who wanted to try it. The point he makes, as I see it, is that pedal steel is an instrument you play with your entire body. For all the talk about “seat time” here on the forum, I think there’s something to be said for walking and stretching too.

I agree with the walking and stretching, my flexibility is not what it once was. Even without weights, the left foot exercises are a challenge (for me).

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 6:08 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I learned how to pick block using Joe's methods. He is uniquely focused on the physicality of playing and his approach seems geared towards training the body like an athlete might. Sometimes I think it is to the detriment of musicality and I don't think his approach is for everyone.

I also agree that his method probably isn’t for everyone. But the breaking down of complex movements into their smallest component parts makes a lot of sense to me. I must admit, at this point the drills I am doing are nearly completely mechanical, not musical. As I have plenty of time under my belt studying/teaching/gigging on other instruments I don’t mind focusing on the physicality of operating a pedal steel guitar. I want the muscle memory to kick in asap so I can just play!