| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ceramic bars
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2023 8:00 pm    

Anyone else using a bar not made of steel?

I'm the proud owner of three ceramic bars from Paloma Stone Guitar Slides. I've had them for a few years but never spent a lot of time playing them until last night. I struggled the first hour dialing in my tone, then during the break I tweaked my eq settings, and also pulled out the Paloma bar. I had a ball picking the second half.

Just wondering if anyone else uses a ceramic bar on a regular basis?
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 6:54 am    

Not ceramic but I have a couple polymer bars. To me the sound is not much different. Slightly softer tone and enough that it's my favorite bar.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 7:17 am    

My favorite bar is a zirconia bar, very smooth on the strings.
Erv
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 2:01 pm    

I have 2 zirconia bars in 7/8 an 15/16 inch.

(and 3 stainless, Emmons, Sho-Bud, John Pearse)

Currently I use the zirconia 7/8 the most.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 7:59 pm    

I now use a polymer bar made by Clinesmith. Todd Clinesmith builds polymer bars in Oregon and they're awesome bars with different sizes. Because of cerebral palsy in my left hand, I've found out that a polymer bar works best for me. Clinesmith bars come in black or white colors and Todd builds them in sizes such as 7/8 diameter, 13/16 diameter, 15/16 diameter and one inch. I use it for dobro and steel. My first experience with a polymer bar was in February of 2023 when I went to the Emmons Guitar Company. Polymer bars are my favorite bars for steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 10:25 pm    

I like the idea of the Zirc bar in so far as its hardness approaches diamond strength. i.e no nicks and scratches. How do the Clinesmith bars or Hillman bars rate in hardness ?

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 5:55 pm    

I also use a Paloma ceramic bar. I have a blue camo bar, I only have one and its the one I use. I'm just a home player though. I like its feel and it has held up well to my many drops on the floor.
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 9:40 am    

Who is making ceramic bars now?
Anyone have experience with Rocky Mountain Tone Bars?
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 10:44 am    

I use a Paloma (ceramic) bar mostly for faux-slide guitar sounds. Its very light weight is perfect for doing a lot of bar movement in single-note playing. It does not have the density or weight for good sustain, but it’s great for tunes and picking styles where maximum sustain isn’t necessary. The difference in feel and sound between ceramic and steel bars is pretty drastic.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2024 4:21 pm    

Richard Alderson wrote:
I like the idea of the Zirc bar in so far as its hardness approaches diamond strength. i.e no nicks and scratches. How do the Clinesmith bars or Hillman bars rate in hardness ?

Clinesmith bars are more smoother and, if for some reason your bar falls onto the steel, it won't hurt the steel. I use a Clinesmith bar now and it's the best bar I've used!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger