| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Unbranded Pedal Steel- anyone recognize this?
Matt Olson

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 7:49 pm    

Hi steelguitarforum, longtime lurker- first time poster.

I’m a multi instrumentalist (guitar, lap steel, dobro, mando etc) and I’ve been dreaming of getting a pedal steel for many years now. As of yet I just haven’t been able to afford one and I’ve tried to scratch my steel itch by installing Certano benders on my Supro lap steel but if anything it’s only made me want a real pedal steel more than ever.

Recently a new guy started playing bass for one of the bands I play in and he told me he has a pedal steel sitting at his house (as well as a Peavy pedal steel amp) that he’d sell me for 400$ for the steel and the amp. I told him I was definitely interested and asked him to send me some pictures.

It seems to be an unbranded steel (the only marking is a USA badge by the tuning machines, I haven’t been able to find any info on a “USA” brand steel). He said he thought it was from the 50’s but I’m almost certain that it’s not just from looking at the pictures.

Based on these rather blurry pictures, can anyone tell me anything about this steel? My theory is that maybe it’s a kit build from the 70’s or 80’s but I really have no idea.

I’m going to go over and check it out but being new to pedal steel I don’t quite know how to tell if it’s any good. The price is certainly right. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 10:27 pm    

It looks like a pull-release changer, like a ShoBud Maverick Might have been a kit.
But, for $400 including the amp, if the pedals and knee lever work, I would grab it.
Good luck & have fun!

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 11:10 pm    

Eric Dahlhoff wrote:
It looks like a pull-release changer, like a ShoBud Maverick Might have been a kit.
But, for $400 including the amp, if the pedals and knee lever work, I would grab it.
Good luck & have fun!

Excellent! Thank you very much for the reply/advice. I think I’m gonna pull the trigger.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 12:41 am    

I believe that is a Little Buddy, probably modded a little. There was a similar "what is it?" thread for one here a a few weeks ago. Here's one on Reverb that's very similar with lots of detail pics: https://reverb.com/uk/item/1095478-little-buddy-pedal-steel-1980-s-black. $400 with an amp seems reasonable, but it's probably not worth a whole lot more than that.

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 3:30 am    

As a first pedal steel, you will be in for a good learning experience. "Pull / Release" changers can be a little difficult to get into tune initially, but they generally have the reputation of staying in tune once they are set up. Just keep the same gauged strings that you set up with and it should be fine.

An alternative approach, that will get you playing more quickly and avoid some of the frustration, would be to get a higher quality instrument. You may get to learning "how to play" the instrument rather than "learning about" the instrument more quickly. The pedal steel has enough challenges by itself for an enthusiastic beginner without having to deal with mechanical related issues.

I went through this myself. I purchased something that I could afford just to get into the instrument. I certainly learned interesting things about the mechanical side of the instrument, but I was frustrated in making progress playing it. Looking back, I now know that I would have been better off with a better instrument. Yes. A good quality instrument can run you $2,500 to $3,000 but you would have something that you could resell, recoup your investment and move up to a better instrument once you have the basics of playing the instrument under your belt.

JMHO and experience.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 5:01 am    

My very first steel. As long as it’s playable, grab it. You’ll know within a couple of weeks or months if you’re hooked. And you’ll still have the amp.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 6:25 am    

I agree that it looks like a Little Buddy. It's not ideal, and if you stick with it, you will outgrow it, maybe soon, maybe later. However, you will be able to learn the basics e.g., chord positions, pick and bar techniques, blocking, volume pedal technique (if you have a volume pedal; you don't absolutely need one to get started), etc. All that is provided that the steel is in good mechanical condition.

Which Peavey amp is included in the deal? If it's a Session 400, Nashville 400, LTD 400 or similar, and the amp is in decent working condition, you'll at least have a very good steel guitar amp at a reasonable price for a long time. You might never need or want another steel amp. There are several other Peaveys that will get you started, too.

There are a few caveats here, but $400 is cheap for your purpose, if the steel and amp are in good condition.
Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 10:45 am    

It sure looks like a Little Buddy made by USA. I owned one back in the late 70's, and I would describe mine as "barely better than nothing, and barely playable." The back-story is that I had been borrowing a Sho-Bud Maverick from a friend, and when he wanted it back, he found a Little Buddy I could buy on the cheap. On paper, they have the same specs, but there was no comparison. Since you're in VT, I immediately wondered if you're looking at the same one I got rid of, but it looks like yours is black, and mine was dark wood grain. At the time, I was working in a formica shop and made an extra wide pedal bar to help minimize the excessive side-to-side rocking. I used 2 bolts on each side. I'm telling you this in case you're looking at the same instrument that somebody just painted black....

As you can tell, I didn't think much of the instrument, even as a "starter". It was the pedal steel equivalent to the iconic "38 inch student guitar" that you find on Amazon for $49. If you don't give up in frustration, you'll want an upgrade within 3 months. Still, depending on the Peavey amp, it might be a fair deal.
Tom McDonough
john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 11:50 am    

I know a fellow that bought one of these - it is a Little Buddy. Pot metal waiting to break. Run, from it if I were you!
Matt Olson

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 5:56 pm    

Thanks for the replies everyone. It’s helpful to know that it’s a “Little Buddy” and to have some idea what I’d be getting into. I’m torn on wether or not I should go through with it. On the one hand it gets my foot in the door but I do worry that having a particularly poor quality instrument to start on could wind up discouraging me in the long run.

Part of me feels like I should wait and save up for a better steel to start on. I could probably get 1,000$ together- any suggestions of models I should keep my eyes out for? I don’t mind starting out on a student model, I just want something that is going to be playable and not be more trouble than it’s worth.

Here’s a picture of the amp that’s going to come with it, it’s definitely a Peavey but the picture is too blurry to really tell what model it is.
Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 6:19 pm    

Looks like a Renown 400 with two Scorpion 12" speakers. Not a steel amp per se, but would probably sound fine and would have plenty of volume.
Matt Olson

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 9:33 pm    

Bruce Derr wrote:
Looks like a Renown 400 with two Scorpion 12" speakers. Not a steel amp per se, but would probably sound fine and would have plenty of volume.

Thanks Bruce, good to know. He said it was a steel amp but doesn’t seem to know much about what he has. He was pretty sure the steel was from the 50’s which it definitely isn’t.
Stew Crookes

Paris, France
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 1:50 am    

Yah I wouldn't touch that even at $400 with a free Reknown - you'll just be trying to move it on in a matter of months at most and someone else will be posting on here if they should buy it and we'll tell them to avoid it too Laughing

Look for a decent used pro steel from one of the lesser loved (but still great!) brands like MSA or Dekley or worst case scenario find a better used starter steel that you'll later be able to sell to someone else looking for a low cost entry when you're ready to move up.

stewcrookes.com
Matt Olson

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 11:41 am    

Stew Crookes wrote:
Yah I wouldn't touch that even at $400 with a free Reknown - you'll just be trying to move it on in a matter of months at most and someone else will be posting on here if they should buy it and we'll tell them to avoid it too Laughing

Look for a decent used pro steel from one of the lesser loved (but still great!) brands like MSA or Dekley or worst case scenario find a better used starter steel that you'll later be able to sell to someone else looking for a low cost entry when you're ready to move up.

Hmmm, okay. It seems the majority of you guys think I should run the other way on this one which is a little bit heartbreaking for me as I thought I had finally found something I could afford to learn on that was local. I’ve been looking for reasonably priced student models but haven’t found anything yet.

I’ll keep checking the for sale section on here, reverb, Craigslist, etc. If anybody has any leads on one feel free to post them here or PM, I really appreciate all the advice from seasoned veterans. This forum is an amazing community/resource.

There’s a Hudson 6 string pedal steel on reverb for 900$ but I feel like if I’m gonna try and learn it I should at least have all 10 strings. It would be a step up from my lap steel with Certano palm benders- which can sound very cool and “pedal steel like” and gets a lot of compliments at live shows but feels very awkward and limiting at times.

I guess I’ll just keep my eye out and try to keep saving up for the real thing if y’all really think the Little Buddy isn’t even worth using to get started. Thanks everyone.
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 1:40 pm    

You can get cheap, basketcase pedal steels sometimes and fix them up so they're playable. A friend and I rebuilt a long scale Fender that was trashed, but that's a Fender that started life as a great guitar. From what I understand, the Little Buddy was never a great guitar and didn't really succeed as a student model due to its significant problems.

However, after looking at listings for a long time, I'd say you should budget $1,300 for a solid guitar that will work well and give you the changes you need. I think a Justice steel with three pedals and 2 knee levers is probably the cheapest new guitar you'll find with that arrangement. It might save you some frustration to just plan on spending that amount. I'm sure there are better deals that will pop up, but you gotta be fast. Any quality 3x2, 10 string guitar that's listed for less than $1,300 will be scooped up REALLY fast.