| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster In Case -- Transporting
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 8:17 am    

Dopey question. I've never gigged my 1954 D-8 so in & out of the case has been an infrequent thing.
It's the original case. It has no blocking inside and no ghost impressions that there ever was any. Is this correct? The red material (70 years old!!) is kind of ragged so it's hard to tell.

I hate to lay the guitar upside down, resting on its lollipop tuners. But of course there's no way to put the legs on if you put it right side up. Also, right side up, it is awkward to reach in and get a grip to flip it.

So, do I assume that you simple DO case it upside down, resting on the tuners?
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 9:15 am    

Mine is a T8, and yes it goes in the case string side down, with an added piece of foam to help protect the strings, knobs and tuners.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 9:32 am    

Yeah -- I've got some foam. Never thought to use it (duh).
These lollipops stand tall and are not really removable/replaceable if damaged. I hate the idea of babying an instrument but they do need special care.
Thanks.

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 4:02 pm    

The dimensions of the rests in my T8 case are 10" x 1" x 1 1/2" deep.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 4:24 pm    

Interesting. Do they seem OEM to you or were they added? There are no impressions in the fabric to indicate that my case ever had any such blocks. Maybe it's a Triple & Quad weight thing that wasn't used on a Double?
I'll show this to the new owner. He intends to leave the guitar set up in his studio and he will transport it from here fully setup, laying down in the back of his van. So the steel may not see the inside of a case for a long time.

I did emphasize to him that the lollipop tuners really want to be treated with care. You can't just pop out and replace a damaged one.
Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 5:22 pm    

Definitely original. Covered with the same material. The inside one is attached to the separating batten rather than the bottom of the case.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 9:14 pm     Re: Stringmaster In Case -- Transporting

Jon Light wrote:
Dopey question. I've never gigged my 1954 D-8 so in & out of the case has been an infrequent thing.
It's the original case. It has no blocking inside and no ghost impressions that there ever was any. Is this correct? The red material (70 years old!!) is kind of ragged so it's hard to tell.

I hate to lay the guitar upside down, resting on its lollipop tuners. But of course there's no way to put the legs on if you put it right side up. Also, right side up, it is awkward to reach in and get a grip to flip it.

So, do I assume that you simple DO case it upside down, resting on the tuners?

I put my '58 T8 in the case facing down. I never leave it laying that way anyway... it spends its life on the narrow edge where the feet are... even in transportation it's on that narrow edge. It just makes sense... why flip the guitar to put the legs on? YMMV.

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 7:58 am    

Well, the guitar has moved on to its new home and it will see little case time. I was just spooked by the worry about abusing the tuners. I have a basket-case project Dual Pro with a couple of messed up tuners with busted welds. I don't take these lollipop tuners lightly.
No longer my worry.
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 9:38 am    

The lollipops are indeed fragile. But they can be repaired. I'm no mechanical whiz but I was able to replace a couple of lollipops that were badly bent when my Custom tipped over. It involved some spare strip tuners, a small propane torch I got a Home Depot, a little solder and a good deal of thought and patience.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 10:49 am    

Thanks Tim. That is encouraging. I've paid a lot of attention to and saved discussions on this subject over the years for whenever I finally take up the Dual Pro project.