| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E to D# won't return to E
Jonathan Walzer

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 12:14 pm    

My right left knee lever (E to D#) works to lower the E string but the string will not return back to E when I release pressure on that lever. I must either push on the E to F lever (left left knee lever) or the C pedal to shimmy the E string back into tune.

I have a video I took trying to illustrate this https://vimeo.com/896667687?share=copy

Any help would be appreciated! This is on my Emmons PP S-10.
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 12:37 pm    

Hi Jonathan,
Your video is good. It shows that something is hanging up when you release the knee lever. I would suppose the push-pull gurus might have an idea of what's going on. However, your video covers only the knee lever side. A video of the changer side during operation may help show what is hanging up.

Wish you well on the repair......Pat
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 1:44 pm    

Most likely, the spring for the 4th string, the one located near the changer, close to the body, needs to be tightened. It's tricky to do this, you need to hold the end of the short rod within the spring, loosen the stop collar, and tighten the spring. I had the same problem with a p/p I had.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 3:00 pm    

I agree that the spring is a strongly possible culprit. I've read various ways of doing it. What I do:

-- have the allen wrench in hand and ready, but do not loosen the collar until.......
-- insert a sturdy, long, narrow bladed screwdriver inside the spring's hook, up against the end of the rod and push the rod (orange arrow), stretching the spring, and plant the screwdriver into the wood to hold it.
-- loosen the collar, snug it up against the stop and tighten it.

Then see if that was enough to bring the string back to pitch.

Yes, gouging into the wood sounds nasty but I've never really left any serious scars on my guitar.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 4:22 pm    

Hold the spring hook that goes through the rod steady with a pair of needle-nose pliers, then loosen the setscrew in the collar and stretch the spring out slightly (just a little more) and hold it. Then slide the collar back against the stop-bar, tighten the setscrew, and then release the spring you've been holding (with the needle nos pliers). Only move the collar a little, maybe 1/4". If that doesn't fix the problem, then you'll need to oil the changer, crossrod, or linkage because something, somewhere, is sticking.

And if you don't have a pair of needle-nose pliers, I urge you to get a pair. They make dealing with springs a very easy matter. Wink
Jonathan Walzer

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 5:17 pm     Getting to Set Screw

Hi all, thank you for the kind advice! I went to look at starting this process and notices that the rod for the E string (red) is covering that set screw (yellow) so I cannot even get to it to loosen it. Should I focus on removing the rod for the E string first and then adjusting the spring?

Jonathan Walzer

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 5:20 pm    

I'm going to try rotating it and see how that works... it just makes it even more meticulous Wink
Jonathan Walzer

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2023 5:48 pm    

It was a pain in the A to twist it but the screwdriver method worked! Definitely scratched it but someone already screwed holes all over the underside of the guitar anyways.