| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons - How about it!
Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 5:48 am    

Hey guys! Just a nice feeling after listening to a real (iconic) event. One of those magical events that happen every once in a while. I was there...with many of you. My first Scotty's experience. What a great start to a wonderful career! Thanks everybody...and play gooood! RK😎

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 7:54 am    

I was there in the sound booth.
It was my first involvement with the ISGC and I was proud to have a hand in the original recording before it was mixed down.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 10:37 am    

Man that was a magical recording. Spellbinding.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 7:16 pm    

Here’s another fascinating thing about that recording, as was told to me. Buddy had the charts and sent them to everyone. There was intent to have a rehearsal but it never happened. So this was played no rehearsal!

The only minor glitch I’ve ever noticed was on Mansion On The Hill. Buddy’s arrangement was with a straight 8 feel. The drummer starts with a shuffle but corrects before the first bar completes. Shocked We mere mortals could only hope to play at that level! Smile
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 7:24 pm    

it's been reported that Bobby Caldwell played on the recorded version of The Great Stream, not Bucky Barrett. can anyone confirm?

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 8:13 pm    

Scott, yes, that is true. I watched the recording intently. There were a couple of start/stops with Bucky. Then, Bobby was asked to play and got it in one take. I don't think Bobby got any written credit for it. Also, Buddy used a Furman PQ-3 with a Session 400. A few years later, I asked Buddy what settings did he need from the PQ-3 to alter the Session 400 tone. He said, he used it to make changes to the low mids. He couldn't remember the exact frequency or bandwidth.
Also, Larry London had his drum charts setting to the left of him. He played most of The Great Stream with his eyes zero'ed in on that chart and seldom took his eyes off of them except when they got into jamming on the song. As soon as they got back into the structured part of the song, he was eyes down again.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 4:49 am    

How can we hear this recording?

Mitch
Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 5:44 am    

Here it is on YouTube.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 7:51 am    

I doubt there will ever be another steel guitar genius with his level of technique and creativity. Like he once said, "copying is easy, creating is what's hard."
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 12:40 pm    

Also my first experience of the ISGC. What an incredible weekend! I was right down in front for the recording. I swear I can hear myself hollering. Truly an amazing document of a magical evening.
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 3:25 pm    

Thank you Gary. I enjoyed it.

Mitch
rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 5:11 pm    

Scott and Dennis, I don't believe that is right. There were a couple of restarts on The Great stream but as I recall it was the rhythm section muffing it, not Bucky Barrett. And I'd bet my lunch money that that is Bucky Barrett's solo on The Great Stream. My memory may not be what it once was but that's what I remember and listening to it today thats what my ears say.

Bobby did come up and sat in on At E's for the encore.

Like you, I was right up front with my jaw in my lap all night. For my money this is the best steel guitar performance of all time. Ditto the albums.

Where's Russ Wever? He could set us all straight.
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 5:37 pm    

MMMMMM...could be?
Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 9:38 pm     Buddy

Thanks for posting the link Gary.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 8:34 am    

The two original and exceptional LPs would make an excellent candidate for reissue on CD (and other formats as well).
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 8:45 am    

I have the double LP and the CD. I can't remember where I got the CD? Maybe Buddy's vendor table at the ISGC?
Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 9:04 pm    

Great stuff!!

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 6:12 am    

Does anyone know if that was the year Buddy received a plaque award for something.
Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2023 2:56 pm     Live recording

The great stream ,
Wow,So good,it's my favourite, but it's all great playing.I wonder how much homework the band did to prepare. I would have needed 2years,and lots of mistakes. I just love this recording.
Sam.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 12:21 pm    

It's all been said, I suppose, but the level at which Buddy played defies belief.

My favourite Emmons album will always be the Christmas release but this, surely, for it's breadth of range and mind-blowing technique has to be next.

Dennis quoted Buddy's remark: 'Copying is easy, creating is what's hard.'

With all due respect to the Great Man, I'd say that copying his work on this live album is many things; 'easy' isn't one of them.

I hope he allowed himself a moment's self-congratulation after this project was completed. This was surely the best steel player in history at the height of his considerable powers.

(I have the CD but I can't remember how or where I got it.)