| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SKH bell-cranks?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2023 6:22 am    

This is something I should be able to figure out on my own, but.....

I get that there's a grub-screw securing the pull-rod running through the 'bush' (?).

But how does one remove the bush to relocate it in a different B/C hole? It doesn't seem to unscrew, nor simply pull apart yet, just now, I found one had fallen off on its own!
(Pictures coming..)

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2023 7:21 am    

Roger, you need a pair of pliars for retaining rings. Squeeze the sides of the ring which will spread it and allow the bushing to be removed. Place the bushing in the hole you want, spread the retaining ring again and slip it over the end of the bushing.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2023 7:33 am    

Thank you, Dave!

I should have worn my spectacles! Just after I posted, I found the stray 'ring' (hard to see against black flocking) and somehow got it back on thge bushing.

I then realized what you've pointed out: I need a tool to 'spread' the ring because removing one isn't so easy.

I'm converting the D10 from 'Emmons' to 'Day'; simple in principle, not quite such a push-over in practice!
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2023 8:41 am    

I commonly use a single edge razor blade to do it as the snap ring pliers often result in the snap ring flying off.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2023 9:22 am    

If only you weren't 3,000 miles away, Jim (says RR for the umpteenth time! Smile
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 8:40 pm    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
I commonly use a single edge razor blade to do it as the snap ring pliers often result in the snap ring flying off.

My curiosity has got the best of me. How can you get them off with a razor blade? And also, yes, the little rings will snap off and go to who knows where. I just ordered me a bunch of them just in case.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 10:16 pm    

I just wedge it between one of the ends and pry it away from the recessed part of the swivel and push down and voila!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2023 5:52 am    

Oddly enough, although I bought a pair of pliers for the purpose (in the 'remainder' bin at $5), I eventually managed it with a pair of tweezers.

Once one 'ear' is dislocated, it's fairly simply to pull it off after that.

I don't want to tinker with this guitar too much - it's playing really well now - but I would like to add the E9 10th string 'B to A lower' on RKR (split with the A pedal to bring it back from C# to B for that 4/5 chord). I don't have a four-hole B/C, but I do have a spare 14-hole one. That should fit the cross-shaft okay, right?