| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Button Head Screw Carter D-10
Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2023 7:50 pm    

What size is the Button head screw that holds the Pull Finger on The Cross Shaft on a Carter D-10. The 6th strings still Pulls to "A" but the 3rd String doesnt change pitch at all. All the pull fingers on all the cross shafts are aligned except for the 3rd string, which leads me to believe that there may be a Hairline crack in the pull finger causing it to move. The buttonhead screw is tight and a 2mm hex key is the closest i have to fit it. If someone could post a pic of your undercarriage of the 3rd and 6th string would appreciate it. where would be the best place to locate parts, if needed, since Al Brisco sold Carter? Thanks for any suggestions. Eddie
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2023 10:22 pm    

Unless someone changed it, that screw is a T-10 torx head screw. It's not a hex. The hex key will probably strip the head of the screw. They can also be real tight. I put a T handle torx wrench in the screw head and tap the torx wrench with a hammer to help loosen it. I have stripped both the screw head and torx wrenches on hard to remove screws.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2023 11:45 pm    

https://steelguitar.com/rodding.html

Look at this drawing . According the the rodding chart, both 3 and 6 go in the #1 raise hole in the changer at the right end of the guitar.

They show #6 string rod goes in the #1 slot in the pull bar, closest to the body of the guitar and #3 rod goes in the #2 slot, one more step away from the body. Looking at the guitar upside down.

This is all shown if you click on the tweak button in the header there.

For the screw, Richard has given you the right stuff. These can be very aggravating. Using the correct size torx driver, try to get it loose the first time. After several attempts the head or tool can become distorted and useless if you're not careful.

Parts? I dunno. Just keep looking around here, I guess.
Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 6:09 am     Steel Guitar Parts

in stock now
thanks
wayne

Last edited by Wayne Brown on 12 Dec 2023 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 7:21 pm     Carter D-10

Thanks Richard and Jerry for your information. It was the Pull Finger that was broke and have secured some parts from Johnie King.
Wayne, I looked on your website and didnt see anything related to the part that I needed. Thanks Eddie
Paul Mozen

Fl, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 12:43 pm    

To anyone interested, Barry Coker (he's on here) can make any part. He made me some Carter bellcranks which are mighty fine. With a lot of these companies out of business parts are or will become hard to find.
Eddie Harper

Fairfield, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 6:28 pm     Carter Parts

Thanks Paul for the Information. Will definetly keep that in mind as my Carter (1999) is getting some age on it, but has been More than Reliable. Thanks Eddie
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 8:08 pm    

I have read many horror stories here on the forum about the those tight bell crank screws on a Carter steel. I think they may have used some type of impact wrench, To put the bell cranks on the cross rods.

When I worked in machine shops, We had a saying, "If parts were assembled with an impact wrench, Use an impact wrench to tear it apart". Saved a lot of hurt shoulders, Banged Up knuckles and damage to tools in the shop.

A neighbor was fighting a nut on his lawn mower this summer. With a cheater pipe he could remove the nut. I fired up my air compressor, He borrowed a impact wrench from neighbor across the street, Used impact wrench on nut, Nut came off and we fixed the mower.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 6:42 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
I have read many horror stories here on the forum about the those tight bell crank screws on a Carter steel. I think they may have used some type of impact wrench, To put the bell cranks on the cross rods.

When I worked in machine shops, We had a saying, "If parts were assembled with an impact wrench, Use an impact wrench to tear it apart". Saved a lot of hurt shoulders, Banged Up knuckles and damage to tools in the shop.

A neighbor was fighting a nut on his lawn mower this summer. With a cheater pipe he could remove the nut. I fired up my air compressor, He borrowed a impact wrench from neighbor across the street, Used impact wrench on nut, Nut came off and we fixed the mower.

I called Carter about the screws, Bud Carter actually answered the phone. I specifically asked him if they used impact tools or screw guns, and he told me they only used hand tools. I would like to believe him.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 7:08 am    

I have the idea that the nature of the design & manufacture of these vs stamped steel requires more screw tightening to close up the base around the shaft and get them really snug.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 10:49 pm    

Now I see the problem.
With the aluminum threaded bar under the cross rod. When the oxide coated screw is tightened enough to be sure the BC will not move. This could distort the the threads in the aluminum bar enough to bind the screw, And make it very hard to remove.

A drop of Kano Croil where the screw threads into the bar, Let it set 1 hour, May penetrate down the oxide and allow removing, Be sure to use proper size Torx wrench.