| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 8:45 am    

I too was in Bobbe's shop a few times in the 90's. I was just kicking tires as they say and he new that. But he treated me like a Pro Picker. I was just still learning some things. I have brought a couple of CD's of his which I still have. After that trip I ordered some of his strings. Then I ordered one of is custom Amps. It was packed well and arrived in good shape. It was a single 15" in a compact cabinet and well built and sounded good but just did not have enough Watts or Power. But it did not cost all that much at that time. I think you could call it a very good beginners Amp. After I sold it I wandered if he built them in the back of his store. And yes, he was full of it but a likable guy and I think he was a good picker. J.R.

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 12:09 pm    

I never formally met Bobbe, but passed by him at an 80s ISGC. Barely noticed him, but was gobsmacked by the very tall and gorgeous blonde on his arm!
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 12:52 pm    

I think I read somewhere quite a few years ago that Bobbe spent some time here in Colorado Springs and played at the Navajo Hogan late 50's or early 60's. I moved here in 1964 but never got to meet him if he was here in that time frame. Saw him in St Louis in 1996. Played a good show. And yes, he had the blond with him. Entered the stage when announced from the front of the building right down thru the middle aisle. Sure to be seen.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 1:20 pm    

George Duncan Sypert wrote:
I think I read somewhere quite a few years ago that Bobbe spent some time here in Colorado Springs and played at the Navajo Hogan late 50's or early 60's. I moved here in 1964 but never got to meet him if he was here in that time frame. Saw him in St Louis in 1996. Played a good show. And yes, he had the blond with him. Entered the stage when announced from the front of the building right down thru the middle aisle. Sure to be seen.

Jeannie!
She wasn't just purdy, she was real nice, a Lady and much smarter than her hair color would suggest.
I talked to her a couple of times when things got heated over some "deals" that hit the fan on the forum in the early internet days.
One day she called to let me know that they parted ways.
I must say, even though I was only very "cautiously friendly" with Bobbe Seymore, I felt bad for him. I think it hit his very ego when he lost her, and most men would understand. He seemed to have lost his wings or the wind in his sails thereafter.
She had in some way been his "ambassador".

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Mark Dershaw

Arizona and Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 5:48 am    

I'm glad this thread came up. About 15 years ago I called his shop as I was thinking about moving from an Emmons PP to a more modern all pull guitar. When he got on the phone he was very short with me. Said "Nobody wants those push pull guitars anymore, I've got a whole store full of them and can't get rid of them." Then with a short goodbye... that was it. I remember getting off the phone and being a little stunned. After all these years I now understand. Thanks!
Mark Hepler

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2023 11:25 am     Bobbe's Band.

Bobbe played a sit-down gig at some dive in North Nashville, off Charlotte Pike, years ago (the joint had 'George Wallace for President' posters hanging all over the place). I chanced going there a lot, never got rolled (being white didn't hurt--ha). He was group leader and I think a chick alternated with a guy on vocals.

Bobbe sounded very full and, as a forumite mentioned, wasn't loud! I recollect him playing an Emmons through a Sho-Bud amp (?). He used an Echoplex slap for fast licks and played Mooney's "Under Your Spell Again" note for note . . . that stuck with me for some reason.

He was friendly to me, answered questions, etc.

His girlfriend's 45 RPM record was in heavy rotation on Elliston Street Soda Shop's juke across town, and, man, he sounded great on that track!!! Yeah, boss.
Olaf van Roggen

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2024 12:14 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Olaf van Roggen wrote:
Somewhere in my youth I got a steel album " The happy steel guitar" with no player mentioned.
It turned out to be Bobbe Seymour.
I heard he was approached for playing steel with Gram Parsons and the fallen angels, Bobbe recommended Neil Flanz.

Where did you hear the Gram Parsons story ? If Bobbe told you it’s one thing. It Neil told you it’s another ! That’s the exact sort of thing he would pull out of his ass to impress and degrade someone every chance he got.

I actually read it on the back cover of the Gram Parsons live album, that Phil Kauffman contacted Neil Flanz after a recommandation by Bobbe Seymour. I have seen Neil many times in Austin, but i cannot remember we talked about this, so the truth is somewhere in the clouds.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2024 2:58 pm    

I got a couple Bobbe stories. Sometime in the 90s while we had the Louisville steel club, I met a lot of players from down around the central Ky Green River Lake area where I had grown up. Didn't know it, but they had formed a club in that area too.

They had a show there and had given an invitation to Bobbe one year and since none of the club members were on the forum, he PM'ed me for the final details etc. which I gave him and he was there in Campbellsville to play the show.

The next year, sort of the same situation except that he was going to fly in to the little airport in C-ville and the show hosts were supposed to pick him up...but they didn't.

It was a Sunday and a itty bitty airport, but they had no attendents at the airport and he told me he sat on the tarmac out there in the hot summer sun for a couple hours waiting on the hosts to pick him up.

Naturally, since I was his contact, though I had nothing to do with hosting the event and was an invited guest myself, Bobbe read me the riot act in a PM complaining about his situation and the way he was treated with noone coming to get him.

I explained that I didn't know anything about him flying in or anyone supposed to pick him up, which I would have been glad to do had I known it. He later apologized to me and calmed down.

It was disappointing to me because since I was the one that had forwarded the location, dates and times to him and the hosts didn't follow through, making me the object of his ire.

I was also embarrassed to be a part of that and I felt the hosts deliberately ignored or otherwise shunned him that year and otherwise treated him poorly.

Yeah, I visited the Goodlettsville store a time or two before all that and it was pretty obvious he was BSing me cause there was no way he would know who I was at time. Still, it was always on the visit list when in Nashville. Also, I enjoyed the newsletter they sent out with the steels and gear for sale and his articles.

Always a pleasure to see those photos of Jeannie and see her with him at the shows. You couldn't miss her presence in the room. Striking.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2024 8:54 am    

When I went to Steel Guitar Nashville for the first time in 1999, Jeannie was there, but I think Bobbe had gone to a steel guitar show to play. I remember pulling up to Steel Guitar Nashville in a Dodge Caravan and seeing the Emmons logo in the window. When I walked into the store, Jeannie introduced herself and told me that Bobbe wasn't there because he was playing steel guitar somewhere. When I went back to the store in December of 1999, Bobbe was there and showed me several different steel guitars. The first time I was there, Jeannie gave me Bobbe's live CD and I think that's how I learned to play "Cold Cold Heart". Bobbe and I talked through email several times, and sometime in '01, I emailed Bobbe, and Jeannie answered and at the time I thought she'd started working at Steel Guitar Nashville again. I don't think I understood Bobbe's jokes because my mind was focused on the steel guitar. Bobbe had told me about my Emmons being built in 1974
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger