| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Legend Issues
Avery Bradshaw

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 9:21 am    

Hello All,

I have a couple issues going on with my Legend, both of which are on the same string.

#1- I have the Franklin pedal in the 0 position. Guitar came to me this way and I've come to like the use of this pedal. The issue I am suddenly having is that my 6th string (g#) will not lower a full tone anymore even with the nylon tuner all the way engaged with the changer. I have always had some issues with this pedal on the guitar as far as consistent tuning goes, especially on the 6th and 10th strings. I changed the pull rod to the bottom hole of the bell crank and still cant seem to get enough travel to go below a G note. I've also backed the split tuner all the way out in hopes of making a difference to no avail. I've checked the changer and its clear of debris. I have also backed the nylon tuner all the way off and this didn't help either. This issue started when I changed strings a couple days ago, but I am using the same gauge strings that I always use (NYXL 12-38 ).

#2- Since I've had this guitar my 6th string (g#) and 5th string (B) are always hard to keep in tune. I tune by ear for the most part but use a Peterson with Micky Adams's sweetener for noisy stage tuning. I have noticed that these two strings with progressively either sharpen or flatten over the course of a few songs. It's not a huge issue for me but I am just wondering if this is normal? The roller nut is tuning very well and I keep it clean and lubricated regularly. This is my favorite guitar I've ever had, and if I can get these issues resolved then maybe I'll be content for a while I got the guitar used, and I think its a 2009 model. So I'm sure its had a lot of playing time, if that makes any difference in the above issued.

Thanks for any input with these issues. Very Happy

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 2:50 pm    

Check your lower return springs and be sure that the lowering finger isn’t following the raise finger out.. or just tighten the spring tension (small screw at the bottom of the tuner window), and see if that does any good…
Avery Bradshaw

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 10:58 am    

Dave Meis wrote:
Check your lower return springs and be sure that the lowering finger isn’t following the raise finger out.. or just tighten the spring tension (small screw at the bottom of the tuner window), and see if that does any good…

Thank you Dave, I will give this a try.

Harrisonville, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 4:44 pm    

Perhaps your string set had a wound 6th string instead of a plain.
Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 6:00 pm    

Don’t hate me for saying this because it happened to me.. I couldn’t tune a particular string on my legend XL and tried everything., even moved a rod for more travel. I called Mitchell Smithey and told him my issues and he suggested I change the string which could simply be dead. I did and it was, the guitar was retuned and worked properly after that. The simplest things are the problem sometimes.
Avery Bradshaw

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2023 7:04 am    

Bruce Zumsteg wrote:
Perhaps your string set had a wound 6th string instead of a plain.

Thanks for the tip Bruce! I wish this was the fix but I have always used a plain 6th string.

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2023 7:06 am    

Mike Holder wrote:
Don’t hate me for saying this because it happened to me.. I couldn’t tune a particular string on my legend XL and tried everything., even moved a rod for more travel. I called Mitchell Smithey and told him my issues and he suggested I change the string which could simply be dead. I did and it was, the guitar was retuned and worked properly after that. The simplest things are the problem sometimes.

Thank you for the help! I tend to overlook the simple things most often anyway. Since the first issue started after I changed strings this may be a fix for it. I appreciate the help.

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2023 2:15 pm     Problem

Try backing off the split tuning screw
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2023 5:07 pm    

Avery, Readjust the tension with needle nose players, or completely remove the helper raise spring if your guitar has one. I usually just remove mine.
Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2023 3:29 pm    

Your guitar was set up with standard nickel strings, the NYXL strings do not pull the same as standard strings so it needs to be readjusted for the NYXLs.
Our standard gauges are .013 .015 .0115 .014 ..018 .022p .026w .030 .034 ..038
When setting up a new guitar at MSA I always ask about string preference for that reason. Most string brands are pretty close to each other but not NYXLs.
You might try giving your Franklin pedal a little more travel. The adjustment is under the pedal height adjustment wheel. It’s a 1/16” hex .
Call us at the shop if you need more help!
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2023 4:59 pm    

Mitchell Smithey wrote:
Your guitar was set up with standard nickel strings, the NYXL strings do not pull the same as standard strings so it needs to be readjusted for the NYXLs.
When setting up a new guitar at MSA I always ask about string preference for that reason. Most string brands are pretty close to each other but not NYXLs.
You might try giving your Franklin pedal a little more travel. The adjustment is under the pedal height adjustment wheel. It’s a 1/16” hex .

👏👍😉
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2023 6:03 pm    

Another thing to check is, String straightness.
Check the 5 and 6 string for straightness across the nut rollers. The rollers may turn free with no string, But when string is applied and raised to tune, Side pressure on the roller will make it drag on the fingers of the nut. May take some moving final string exit location on key shaft to make pull over nut roller straight.
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 6:23 am    

Mitchell Smithey wrote:

Hence why I sent you NYXL's when you built Jolly Rancher ... I learned this on your Plum guitar when I changed what you had on there to NYXL's (don't think Mitchells a fan of NYXL's, but I do Winking ) ... the 6th string especially needed a different belcrank slot if memory serves. Was an easy fix, but till then couldn't get to pitch. Listen to Mitchell Winking
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Avery Bradshaw

Danville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 3:18 am    

Thank you everyone for the replies! I sure appreciate the advice and help. I am going to give Mitchell a call on my days off to try to see what I can do.