| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Trapezoid vs Boxcars?
Peter Krebs

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 9:28 am    

Hey! wondering about the tonal difference between these two types of pickups (if any). Looking at a couple of early Fender double-necks. Thanks!
Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 10:14 am    

The trapezoids were designed to give better bass response than the boxcars... and it worked! Similar highs, but beefier lows on the traps.
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 11:10 am    

from an old thread:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7666&sid=d30bd23afed5718e36b7c31da9f09da1

Chris Scruggs wrote:
Now let me get it straight that I love the SOUND of my trapizoid pickups, but the boxcars FEEL better on the right hand. Especially for playing high up on the neck.

I notice they sound pretty close to each other on the higher strings, but the low strings are thicker on the trapizoid (for obvious reasons). I almost kind of like the mellower sound of the boxcar on the bottom end, though.

And you must admit, those brown roman numeral fretboards sure look good on those boxcar guitars!

For what ever it's worth, I own a dual pro with boxcars and it sounds great to my ears. I don't have any complaints about bass response but I have never played a guitar with traps.

Note: if you do end up buying a boxcar guitar Tom Brantley does a fabulous job rewinding them and re-creating the bobbin.

https://tombrantleyrewinds.com/lap-steels-1
K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 8:28 pm    

I came upon a ‘49 Dual Pro in rough shape and sent both ‘boxcars’ to Jerry Sentell for refurbishing. I asked him to overwind them as much as was practical and I’m happy with the sound I have. I don’t hear a great lacking in the low end, but if I do the bass on my amp goes to ELEVEN. Not really.

KEVIN MAUL: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2023 9:30 am    

Having never played either I would love to test drive both.

For now my Stringmasters seem to do OK.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster Quad black
PedalMaster D8
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2023 11:04 am    

I decided to track down a trap & boxcar to see what they are all about. Steel guitar is so addictive!

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster Quad black
PedalMaster D8
G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2023 2:35 pm    

The traps sound best to me!!! I really never liked ( can I say this here?) the sound of Fender steels. I always leaned towards towards Ricks, Gibsons, Epi's etc. JMHO. So that is why I likely lean towards the trapezoids.
Gary
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'