| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Request for photos
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2002 2:52 am    

This is a follow up to my request in Events & announcements. I'm in the early stages of working on a book about non-pedal steel. It's going to be a very colorful, very graphic book that explores interviews, history, advice on tunings, lap steel models etc. I'm in the process of trying to find photos & graphics that I can use with permission. All need to be scanned at 300 dpi. I'll be happy to pay postage both ways if I can borrow any photos or receive them electronically - whatever works. I don't have a publisher yet or a budget so all I can offer is my gratitude and a credit in the book.

Here are some of the kinds of photos I'm seeking:

Andy Iona
Sol Ho'opi'i
Dick McIntire
Billy Hew Len
Jerry Byrd
Leon McAuliffe
Speedy West
Kayton Roberts
Jr. Brown
Don Helms
Other early country, Hawaiian, Western Swing, Cajun, Blues players

Graphically interesting sheet music covers, memorabilia such as coasters or pix of clubs, flyers, band marketing material, old string packaging, steel guitar bars, etc.

high-quality pictures of non-pedal guitars - all models shot against neutral backgrounds - including those being made today (for a section on new lap steels).

Thanks for your help, guys.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 7:24 am    

You are welcome to the photo of my 1960 National Lapsteel, and Nick Manolof Bar, at http://pedalsteel.tv/InstDisk/Pages/lapsteel.htm

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2002 9:38 am    

Great shot - thanks, Joey! I'll e-mail you offline.
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2002 8:31 am    

Andy,

I can offer good photos of a Fender T-8 Stringmaster,ivory.

A Fender d-8 dual pro walnut ( the trapezoid pickups). My guess is that these pictures are plentiful in Fender catalogs.

I have an 8 string Benoit new. Carrol Benoit probably has the best photos.

Also, a custom walnut Dobro circa late 1970's with very ornate fretboard.

Also a new Gibson Dobro roundneck.

If any of these will help, I can get you high quality photos, or high quality digital photos.

Ron
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 11:05 am    

Bump ...

I'm also looking for any steel-related Western Swing or Hawaiian memorabilia like photos, program cards, flyers, ,etc.
I'm trying to define an era ,visually speaking.

Another round of thank you's to the many folks who've e-mailed me!
Peter

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2002 8:38 am    

Andy, I have a pile of hawaiian sheet music and books. These are from the mid thirties and they have been given to me by a friend of my dad. (My dad is now 97 years old and still plays drums in a band. He is the oldest drummer in Holland.) If you like me to send these to you please give me your mail address.
Good luck with your book.

------------------
Peter den Hartogh-Fender Artist S10-Remington U12-Hilton Volume Pedal-Gibson BR4 lapsteel-Guya "Stringmaster" Copy-MusicMan112RP-Peavy Rage158- - My Animation College in South Africa

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2002 3:26 pm    

Very generous of you, Peter. I'll pay the return postage and e-mail the address offline.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2002 9:30 pm    

Andy;If you are willing to send me your reg. mailing address I have an early '50's Gibson Guitar catalog, about the size of a standard large envelope,and in it is the ad for the Gibson BR-9 Outfit. It's in my files and I'd be glad to dig it out for you if you want it w/no obligation on your part. It's obvious I'll never be able to order one,but I did have one about '76 I guess. If I had it to do again, I would not have sold it,although I really must have at least a 7 stringer, because I just love the C Diatonic tuning. I like to play a lot of Jerry Byrd style, and my Pedal Steel is set up on my C6 to get that tuning as needed, by raising my 6th str. E to F on pedal #9, and then the standard RKL lowering the 3rd. from C to B. Just love it! To me, that was one of Jerry Byrds greatest contributions to the world of Steel Guitar! With this set-up you get the seven string tuning on 5 strings. John P.S.I must give credit where it's due, this set-up was shone to me years ago by Sonny Burnett,Thanks Sonny!
Joe DeLeon

FairHope, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2002 9:19 pm    

Hi Andy. I've got about 75 different lap and console steels. I'll be glad to take shots and descriptions of them if you like. Let me know. Joe
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2002 2:05 am    

Hi Andy
...............I've posted some pics of my collection........... hope they're of some use.
BTW. Did you like the albums ?
Baz http://www.waikiki-islanders.com/html/basil_bio.html

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

http://www.waikiki-islanders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2002 4:27 am    

Thanks, Baz but I can only use photos at 300dpi print resolution as opposed to 72dpi - which is screen resolution.

Check out the CD reviews in the Steel Players secion.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2002 9:22 am    

Bump ...

In addition to photos, still seeking graphic elements that define the 40's, 50's blues, Hawaiian & Western Swing scenes. Thanks!