| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons' Christmas album?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 6:13 am    

I listen to this one out of season as well as at Christmas.

It's my favourite of all his releases; there's sheer discipline in his playing and the production is really lavish for such a 'niche' CD.

There's little info on the sleeve. Does anyone know how it was recorded? Did Buddy play over prerecorded rhythm-tracks (the sidemen are listed)? What about the strings? Added later or recorded live? An arranger is credited (it's a first class job) as are backing vocalists.

It's all got me thinking. It sounds like a fair sized budget was allocated to the project.

Speaking personally, his 'Sleigh Ride' is an inspiration, and an object lesson in just how well this instrument can be played! It is the epitome of cleanliness, tone and discipline. I know how great he was at exercising his considerable jazz chops but this is another side to his consummate command of the steel guitar.

It's probably my #1 steel album of all.
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 6:31 am    

Its funny that a Christmas CD would be among your favorites and favorites of Buddy's when he had so many great recordings, I'm thinking of particularly of everything he did with Pennington.

That said, when I regularly listened to music (haven't for years Embarassed )
I was playing Buddy's Christmas CD, YEAR-Round. It is THAT good. The production was top shelf and done in a way that you didn't really think of it as a "Steel Instrumental" CD. The masses, me thinks, "GETS" this type of Steel record. Buddy's playing as always but particularly on this just doesn't get any better.
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 6:40 am    

It's all so musical, Dale, and he never (in my opinion) got a better tone!

There's an EMCI on the sleeve-pic; I believe that's what he used on the sessions but I don't know for sure. It was 1990; I did some dates in the UK with Buddy around the same time and he had a rosewood EMCI on that tour.

I wish now that I'd taken the opportunity to ask the man himself when I had the chance.

(Not, of course, that the brand of guitar was the reason for the perfect tone: we know where that came from!)
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 9:57 am    

If I remember right, Buddy did play an EMCI on the Christmas Sounds of The Steel Guitar record, although, when I first heard it in '98, I thought he was playing an Emmons
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 6:25 pm    

From BE's corresponding Book of Tablature

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 7:26 pm    

Ron, thanks for posting that info.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 8:08 am    

His version of O Holy Night on that recording is absolutely stunning!!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 10:45 am    

Thanks, Ron! That confirms it.

Jim P.: I may have to get that book from you! There are just enough mysterious voicings to justify the purchase. Smile
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 12:10 pm    

Buddy told me that record was his favorite that he played on. He also said that most of strings were recorded by him, using an IVL Steelrider MIDI controller, in his basement.
I believe he went in the studio and added real strings to tie together his synth strings and record backup singers .
I'm very sure the band was recorded live. If engineer Kevin McManus is around, he would know.
I sure don't think he would have called the record his favorite if he used rhythm tracks.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 12:18 pm    

Good to know, Chris: thanks.

'Sleigh Ride' is impossibly executed!!! But the whole album is a lesson in touch and intonation. I've been playing it in the car this week and listening with fresh ears. Everything he plays, regardless of pedal/KL combinations, is immaculately in tune.

It's no wonder that he was proud of it.
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 12:28 pm    

Glad I could help, Roger.
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 2:09 pm    

Here's a Soundcloud link to track I made for an audio Christmas card a few years ago. Using "Sleigh Ride" and an the pitch shifter on an Lexicon MPX1: https://soundcloud.com/bluespruce8/elves?si=fda6b4111f754a8c9e06bbcb21c3c875&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 3:03 pm    

I got a lot of good out of that book and backing tape. It is very accurate as far as I could tell.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 6:17 pm    

Was anybody else in St. Louis the year they previewed that LP with the string section and all? The band was all dressed in red sweaters. In spite of the Labor Day heat, in less than 10 minutes I was IN the Christmas spirit. I sat up front in the floor. It was powerful.

I seem to remember in some of Buddy’s comments here on the forum he said he arranged the tunes for this record sitting at home with a classical guitar.
David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 12:34 am    

I have the record, here is a picture.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 5:28 am    

That's pretty funny, Chris (and a heck of a Christmas card!)

Bill: I didn't know that. Wow! I'd have liked to have seen that.

I have just communicated with Pali and I'll have the material shortly, no doubt.

It sobers me to reflect that, when this release first appeared, I merely enjoyed it without giving any thought to just how masterful his performance was. Yes, I was playing steel then, but not delving as deeply into the technical aspect as I later began to do. Now? I've left it too late even if that 'Sleigh Ride' 'head' continues to be my Nemesis.

I can't decide if Buddy played that first line all with T/M (crossing-over) or whether he brought T/I/M into play on strings 4/5/6 and 6/7/8.

Years ago, I posed the question to him on 'Ask Buddy' and, for once (he was usually very astute), he misunderstood my query. I asked about 'fingering' and 'E' responded by quoting frets/strings/pedals rather than right-hand method. I guess we'll never know.
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 6:53 am    

I've got a signed cd.
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 12:10 pm    

Right after I started playing steel, I taught myself how to play "Blue Christmas" by playing along with Buddy's version of the song. I had Buddy's Christmas Sounds Of The Steel Guitar on cassette tape, although I did have a CD player at the time. I'd gotten the tape at the Ernest Tubb Record Shop on Broadway in Nashville in 1998, the year before I started playing steel, and at the time, I kept wondering where players got steel guitars from. In 2000, after I'd started playing steel, it was December of 2000, and I decided to see how "Blue Christmas" would sound with me playing it along with Buddy, so the intro started, and somehow I was playing in the key Buddy played it in. That's how "Blue Christmas" became the first Christmas song I learned how to play on steel guitar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2023 6:35 am    

Thanks for posting this and reminding me of what a great album it is...I cant find my copy of the cd but thanks to Amazon I can listen to it any time I want...you are right, what an album of taste, touch and tone ! Just unbelievable...only Buddy !! I'm still mesmerized by it after all these years !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2023 12:56 pm     Cd

I got one of the cd’s at bigE’s table he set up in St Louis, autographed on the spot…

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2023 9:08 am    

As a retailer, I feel very fortunate to still be able to sell his courses including the Christmas course. Long story of how it all came to be but since his passing, I've donated what I would have paid Buddy to the Country Music Hall of Fame in his and Peggy's names.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2023 1:47 pm    

Good for you, Jim!

My copy arrived in great shape. I'm not a fan of tab in general and feel that one learns more by finding this stuff by ear.

This album is so good at many levels but musically complex it isn't! It's pretty clear what he's playing and where he's playing it. It's all about his unique touch and execution.

I wanted the book, Jim, for the CD: I can play my lame versions of all the tracks and I don't have a single excuse. It reveals the gulf between Emmons and me. Smile

It's fun trying, though.
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 3:15 pm    

so true, roger. there's no trick changes or fancy fingerings. he's just really musical and really skilled.
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 9:49 am    

Can this Christmas LP or Cd still be brought some where?
Would love to get one. J.R. Rose

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 10:09 am    

Sorry- $17 delivered to you-paypal ok to stlgitr@gmail.com is fine