| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  J. B. Van
Ricky Lambert

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 7:20 am    

Does anyone have any info and/or photos of J. B. Van? His real name was James B. Vandeweghe (pronounced van-da way). I went to high school with him in Texarkana, Tx. He taught me a few licks when I first started playing a 6 string back in the mid 60's. He passed away in 1999 and I am attempting to write a Biography of him for Find A Grave. I lost contact with him after school and it wasn't until I had a conversation with Gilley, before he passed, that J. B. played for him. I would really appreciate any info someone might share, especially photos. Thanks so much, Rick Lambert
akcmret92@gmail.com
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 10:05 am    

Ricky,
I met him and purchased a Sho-Bud steel from him circa 1975 in Baytown, Tx. He was a fine player. There is a LP that he recorded with Lloyd Green. I found it on Discog’s site and purchased it for a souvenir. I don’t have any photos of him although I wish I did. For his Sho-Bud he accepted $500 and my old Fender 400 steel, because he wanted to give a 12 year old a break.

Hope that helps you some.

Best regards,
MB

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 10:06 am    

Ricky,
Maybe contact Lloyd Green?

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Ricky Lambert

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 11:54 am    

Thanks Marty - I've got Lloyd's address in Madison, Tn (if he still lives there) and thought I'd send him a letter if he didn't answer this post. I don't know his email address. I'm also looking for an economical steel guitar for a beginner to learn on. Not junk but reasonable. Thanks for your quick response, Rick
Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 6:32 pm     Lloyd Green

Hey Ricky,
You should reach out to Ricky Davis. Maybe he can help you get in touch with Lloyd.
Goodluck
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2023 7:12 pm    

J.B. did record an album with Lloyd Green years ago and it was titled "Celestial Steel Guitars." It was all old time Southern Gospel songs. Yes he did play Steel Guitar for Mickey Gulley, not sure for how many years. That's all that I know about him. Lloyd Green, I'm sure will be glad to share any information with you. Hope this helps.