| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fretboard Visualization Tool & Tunings Database for 8-String
Kyle Jester

Martinez, California
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 8:42 am    

Here's my free webtool for learning 8-String Non-Pedal Steel: SlantFinder.pro

The links are static for easy sharing/bookmarking, for instance:
My goal with this tool is to be free, fast, and useful.
I'm just learning and all the tools I found online were full of ads and weren't great,
so this kind of fell together when spreadsheets became too complicated/limited.

Other info:
    -Default key is D and default tunings displayed are MAIN: A6 (F♯AC♯EF♯AC♯E) and CUSTOM: Gmaj13 (EGBDGBDF♯)
    -This site uses ♯'s for the 'tweeners' in the tunings/notes, and ♭'s for the tweeners in degrees.
    -The 'high to low' checkbox reverses the display of the tunings in the fretboard dropdown menu and the 'database' below. Default is low to high.
    -The fretboard switches back and forth between a built-in tuning of your choice and a custom tuning of your choice (made from the single note dropdown menus behind the 'nut') depending on whether the 'custom tuning' checkbox above the 'nut' is checked when you click the 'update fretboard' button.
    -To populate the fretboard with one of the 80 built-in tunings you can either select it in the tunings dropdown menu, or you can click the name or notes of the tuning in the filterable and sortable list of 80 tunings at the bottom of the page.
    -To populate the fretboard with a custom tuning, choose the notes of your tuning in the single note dropdown menus behind the 'nut'. Then 'check' the checkbox above those menus and click the 'update fretboard' button. Check/uncheck that 'custom tuning' checkbox to switch back and forth.
    -Before hitting the 'update fretboard' button you can highlight any combination of degrees you like by checking the corresponding checkboxes. Just under those are some quicklinks for highlighting common scale and chord degrees. These degrees are based on the key which you can change in the dropdown menu.
    -Below the fretboard is a 'chord building grid'. The chord names are links to update the fretboard with those degrees highlighted.
    -The tuning database is displayed in a filterable and sortable grid, the tuning names and notes are links to update the fretboard with that tuning.

-This website is free of ads, cost, subscriptions, tracking, pop-ups, sign-ups, images (except a couple icons), logos, database connections, marketing, copyright, and cookies. Take, use, share.
Feedback, Changes, Requests, and Tuning Additions Welcome!

Cheers, k

Last edited by Kyle Jester on 27 Nov 2023 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Landon Jarrel

Space
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 8:51 am    

Kyle, a great big THANK YOU for this magnificent tool.
Kyle Jester

Martinez, California
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 9:03 am    

My pleasure, happy to contribute. It only costs a penny a day (+ $12/yr for the silly domain name).
If it hits $100 in total I might add a Buy-me-a-coffee button to fund it but that'll take 7ish years.

Looking back, I may have chose something that sounds less like a hookup site for the name,
but this one was only $3 for the first year and it seemed like a good idea at the time (late night).
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2023 12:22 pm    

Amazing! Congratulations on such a significant learning tool. All that work! Wow!. Very Happy