| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Excel Robostar
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2023 4:23 am    

Ordered my Excel Robostar on 9/19/23 and it is shipping out today, 10/25/23. Here's some pictures of it at the factory. Changer is mounted on the top.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2023 5:49 am    

Greg, wow a cool changer mechanism. Looks great.
John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2023 6:36 am    

What's the purpose of all the holes in front side of the body?
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2023 8:42 am    

I haven't received the guitar yet so I really can't answer any questions! Estimated 6 weeks to delivery. I'll post a full web review a week or so after receiving it similar to these ones:

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20D13%20S12%20Keyless/Excel%20D13%20S12%20Keyless.html

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2023 4:55 pm    

Looks great. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it. Mitsuo is working on one for me. I’m trying to be patient.
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2023 5:24 pm     Excel

I asked Mitsuo about the holes in the frames years ago, he said it’s to make the guitar lighter.. Very Happy

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2023 5:43 pm    

Well they are extremely light guitars. DHL delivery is scheduled for Wednesday 11/01.
Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2023 8:45 am    

The holes are for mounting cross rods. Sure, he drills ALL the holes and only uses some. I guess it makes it lighter.

But really, it's so you can put a cross rod in there wherever you want (or as many as you want) without drilling or modifying anything.

I like how the back is just open now. On Superbs, there is usually a polished cover back there.
Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 3:21 pm    

Greg - I see Mitsuo incorporated a different keyless tuner for your guitar, than the one he used on the guitar he built for me. 👍

Has it arrived yet?
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 3:47 pm    

Mike, the guitar is here. I requested that he mount the tuner on top. I like the look of it being exposed that way. I’m working on a website review and some recordings now..
Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 4:38 pm    

Hey Greg,
Congrats on your red Robostar!
I just noticed in the picture it looks like the rollers for string 1 and 2 are gauged for heavier strings, I hope I'm just perceiving it wrong and the strings are even.
I can't wait to read your review!
Ollie
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 5:15 pm    

Yes sir! Man that is beautiful!!! I hope you enjoy the beck out of it! Let us know what you discover!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 5:21 pm    

Oliver, the strings are perfectly even with the exception of the 10th string which is a bit lower in height. The weight of my 15/16" bar is enough to make all the strings ring properly at the 1st fret however.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 9 Nov 2023 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 5:39 pm    

Joe, I've discovered that the tone is about the same as the other Excels I've owned. Bright and clear yet somehow not harsh at the same time.

Here's some sounds I've been recording so far using a ToneX Pedal direct into a Zoom R24 recorder:

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Robostar/Sound%20Sample%2012.mp3

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Robostar/Sound%20Sample%201.mp3

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Robostar/Sound%20Sample%209.mp3

https://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%20Robostar/Faded%20Love%20Sample.mp3
D. Scheindlin

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2023 6:32 pm    

Sounds great, Greg. Mine is in Cincinnati waiting to clear customs. Hearing your sound clips certainly makes me impatient for mine to arrive, not that I’ll be able to make it sound near as good! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the guitar.
Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2023 3:58 pm     regarding the holes

On most of the double neck Excels Ive owned those holes were also used as travel stops. bellcrank right next to the frame and a bolt head pivots within the circle. Not my favorite design but useful. Sorry no picture that would illustrate this

What is this model a step up or down from the Superb line