| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many Marlen Fans out there??
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 8:55 pm    

We have seen threads for several of the other favorite fine guitars out there, So how about you Marlen fans? What Marlen do you play, what do you like about the Marlen guitars, and how about some favorite pics?
I for one, like my '76 D-10 Marlen that Damir and Jim C. at one time enjoyed. Maybe Ricky D. Or Demir could post a pic of this guitar?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 9:49 pm    

Ok here are my favorite pics and I had the Honor of getting to work on; restore on; adjust on; clean on; dabble with; fix this or that; make it work; and play on every one of these and because of it; my life is complete. The Marlen and Speedy West Marlen; are at the top of my list of the finest steels I've ever had here; and Leonard Stadler himself, equaled that as a Man(may he rest in peace) We miss you Leonard.

Ricky
Joe A. Camacho

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2004 10:52 pm    

I'll claim ownership of number 3 down, the '71 Speedy West, I just got finished doing some practicing on it and I really do love the tone of that guitar! Thanks again Ricky!
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 3:47 am    

That's MY SD-10, and it sounds UNBELEIVABLE with strings on it!!!
James Morehead

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 4:01 am    

I personally know the green S-10 and the D-10 above it!!
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 6:41 am    

This just in>
quote:
Jim, I thought you might enjoy seeing my Marlen so I have attached a photo.
This is a U12 which Leonard Stadler built for Jeff Newman. Jeff played it in the movie "Living Proof" then Leonard got it back and sold it to me over the telephone.
The body is "zebrawood" from Africa and it has some fine airbrush work on front and back. The pickup is a Geo.L 5-tap with a 5 position switch on the top of the body.
I have owned it since around 1991 or 1992. It is one fine instrument. Jeff thought so too.
John Daugherty ......... Rolla, Missouri

Grant Johnson

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 7:19 am    

Another Marlen player and fan here!
Mine is a S-10 professional in black mica. It was made by Mr Stadler in 1999.
Other steel players have commented on its tone. I am very satisfied with this guitar!

I have the pleasure of playing steel guitar for Jon Langford, an Alt-Country Superdude, when he comes through the Pacific Northwest.

------------------
www.bigsmokey.com
Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 7:29 am    

The 4th one down in the pics looks like the one Leonard built for me in 1974. Northwest airlines lost it in shipment to me from Phoenix and never claimed responsibility nro paid me one cent. It wound up in the unclaimed baggage place in Alabama and made its way to North Carolina and finally I think was sold to someone in South Carolina. Even tho I think Ricky did a lot of work on it before it was sold I really loved that steel. The abuse it received was certainly not of my doing but by someone else before Ricky got hold of it and made it like new again. I hope the current owner gets years of enjoyment out of it like I did.
Gere Mullican
Rick McDuffie

Benson, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 9:00 am    

I'm delighted to announce that Lenny Stadler, son of Leonard, has spoken for the beautiful Speedy West (second from top) that Leonard built in 1971. I'm very happy that Lenny is getting this one... it's one of the best examples of the craftsmanship that Leonard put into each of these guitars, and the refurbishing that Ray Walker and Ricky Davis did to it would've pleased Leonard to no end. I'm glad it's staying "in the family"! I also owned the SD-10 that Steve Gambrell has, which was a tone monster! I still have two Marlens- a green '82 all-pull D10 and a 8-string LEFT-HAND model (probably from the 50's) with no knee levers. Way cool! These are all such gorgeous guitars. In my opinon, no one ever built a prettier, better-sounding steel than Leonard. AND they were made in N.C.!

------------------
Rick McDuffie

Sho-Bud Pro I, Marlen Speedy West, Fender Telecaster Custom, Strat, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe

Rick's Music Photo Gallery
www.tarheelmusic.com

James Morehead

Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 6:20 pm    

Amazing the beauty and craftsmanship in these guitars!! Leonard sure put the personal touch in these fine instruments!!
Vann Ray Cranford

Kinston, N.C. 28501-1571
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2004 9:44 pm    

Well, I listed this under another section, but I have to comment here on the fine instrument that a Marlen guitar is. My guitar was built in August 1978 by Bobby Adkins in Leonard's music store back room in Reidsville, NC. Leornard was promoting it as his Premier straight pull guitar and carried it to Scotty's in 1978. My guitar is called a Marlen II and is double neck, dual coil pickups, with Cocobolo and Natural Maple, 8 pedals and 4 knee levers. It is a beautiful guitar, sounds great, and really stays in tune. I was lucky enough to buy it as soon as it came from St. Louis. I think that this wood combination was a popular choice, because there were many Marlens built like this. Anyway, my Marlen and I will be celebrating our 26th anniversary together this year. Hey, that is 2 more years than with the woman that I married. Of course, She says that I am married to my Marlen. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be for a steel player? Someone tell me if I am wrong!
Brad Burch

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2004 8:50 am    

I play a D10 8X5 Marlen from about 1990. Its one of the newer all pull models. Its one beautiful machine.....green and natural laquer finish with tons of inlay. I love it to death. The craftsmanship is excellent with the attention to detail soooooo evident. Can't go wrong with these guitars and for the quality the prices are very undervalued.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2004 10:55 am    

Two words---JOE TURNER!!!
James Morehead

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2004 9:06 pm    

Any more pics out there??

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 02 July 2004 at 10:07 PM.]

James Morehead

Post  Posted 19 Jul 2004 5:00 am    

^
David Friedlander

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2004 12:37 pm    

Seems i]like we both had the same thoughts- but two weeks apart- I also posted a "How many Marlen's out there" thread.

Here's mine

Notice the matching Marlen volume pedal !

I am convinced that these axes will stand comparison to anything made by anyone, anytime!

[This message was edited by David Friedlander on 19 July 2004 at 01:38 PM.]

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2004 9:40 pm    

David, they do!! I've never owned one, but I've seen up and close the first one pictured on Ricky's post. It was built for Eddie Gabbard and it sat in a closet for twenty five years after he passed away in -79. It's just simply a gorgeous guitar and I'm hopin' to get a chance to pick on it soon, now that Ricky has worked on it!!
James Morehead

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2004 4:26 am    

Hey David, I have a Marlen volume pedal, but I need to get it worked on. If you take your foot off of it, it will just drop. You don't see hardly ANY of these old volume pedals at all!!
Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 3:07 pm    

I guess I'll have to take over the claim of ownership from Joe Comacho on number three, the teal and coffee colored one. It has the most incredible sound I've ever heard. It sustains for ever and a day and is real easy on the eye. I thought that ZB's had the best sound, and I own a beautiful ZB, but I am a convert, at least in the case of mine. Apologies to all my friends in ZB. I still love ZB's but this Marlen is in a whole nother tone class by itself.
Duncan
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 10:52 pm    

AMEN to that Duncan.
I can just see the smile on your face when you play that Speedy West Marlen.....
Ricky
James Morehead

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2004 11:08 pm    

The only thing wrong with the Marlens that I can see is, you can't own them all!
Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 5:55 pm    

And Ricky...it is a very big smile every time I sit down at that beauty. Now I just have to find some band who wants a technically inept, but very enthusiastic steel player, with a beautiful looking steel I might add, who can still hit the high harmonies like John Duffy could. Although I haven't tried singing and playing this thing yet. I understand that it is theoretically possible to do both at the same time.
Duncan
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2004 7:04 pm    

Hear mine here: http://www.geocities.com/frsteel/ I love my 1974 D 10. It is THE one pictured on the Marlen literature and is heard on my new C.D. I hope to post some photos of me playing it onstage with Ray Price in '82, very soon.

[This message was edited by frank rogers on 09 December 2006 at 01:19 PM.]

[This message was edited by frank rogers on 09 December 2006 at 01:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by frank rogers on 09 December 2006 at 01:22 PM.]

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 12:40 am    

BUMP...
Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2006 6:26 pm    

Wow, those are some "sweet" looking Marlens!!