https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOLXKBPjTI

p.w
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2023 1:52 pm    

such a fantastic player

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 5:32 am    

Mike Smith is, in my opinion, one of the true greats of our instrument.

It could be argued that he's adopted a low-profile approach to his life and career and, therefore, we don't hear about his very much.

I still play his old 'Dreams of India' album (I LOVE those two new tracks he added in the 2002 CD rerelease - Creek Walk and Sunny T!!!) but it sounds like he's playing better than ever in these two video clips.

Mike T Smith:
How about a new studio album, please?
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 9:37 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
Mike Smith is, in my opinion, one of the true greats of our instrument..................

I agree 100% Roger. I had a live vinyl recording of Larry Gatlin & Brothers with Mike in the backing band. They played a really, really fast number, and Mike played an incredibly scorching hot solo. I can't remember the track name or even the album name, but he is a monster player for sure. He's also a very nice guy. I communicated with him once and I was impressed with the way that he conducts himself.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 12:04 pm    

Ken:

Mike doesn't know me from Adam but he responded to my emails a couple of times in a courteous and helpful manner.

(I must add the the same is true about my other 'living hero', Gary Carter; he's been more than communicative on a several points.)

There seems to have been a clique of 'new' players in the '70s/early-'80s who were in a league of their own: Paul Franklin, of course, Gary Carter, Tommy White, who brought a new level to the way steel was being played. Mike Smith was one of this elite bunch.
Bruce Zumsteg

Harrisonville, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 4:14 pm    

Mike is truly one of the masters of our instrument, and certainly doesn't get the credit he deserves. He made a smart move when he relocated from Gnashville to Phoenix, and for many years has had as much work as he wants. We have been friends since 1977, when he took a chance on an unknown steel guitar brand, and has remained there for 46 years. I'm very grateful for that.

Everyone here should order Mike's and his wife's CD, "Mike and T. Cafe' . It is a top shelf production, with some great playing by Mike, and T's superb vocals.
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 4:51 pm     Mike G

Bruce
Thanks for your great insight and
Info.he sure does good on that Zum D_10
P.w
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 12:36 pm    

TTT
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2023 4:54 am    

Mike is one of the greats or better yet,"Maestros"of this machine we all love. What a monster!
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2023 5:47 am     mike g smith

one more Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-REYK0ORyA
Bruce Blackburn

Nashville, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 12:50 am    

When a “Master” weighs in on a “Master” it deserves serious consideration. Do yourself a favor and check out Mike’s playing. If you don’t know his music, be prepared to be astounded that he doesn’t get the kudos that he deserves.
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 1:17 am    

Here's a cracking piece from Mike called Creek Walk. Blisteringly fast in places, yet as smooth as it gets. Great skill and technique with both hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX7qxoPlZsI
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 1:41 am    

Here is a slow gospel song featuring Mike's wife Teriney on vocals and she has a very special voice as indicated by Bruce Z above. Mike is one of those rare multi talented people who can play lots of various instruments, and very well I might add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ShFvfxuLbU
Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2023 1:49 pm    

Ken Byng wrote:
Here's a cracking piece from Mike called Creek Walk. Blisteringly fast in places, yet as smooth as it gets. Great skill and technique with both hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX7qxoPlZsI

Brilliant stuff!
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/