| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Pedals
Phil Kennelty

New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 7:47 am    

I am new to this Forum and I am brand new to Steel Guitar. I recently purchase what I think is a Sho-Bud Maverick Pedal Steel from a friend and am trying to set it back up. I've managed to assemble it and tune the strings but when I try to fine tune the pedals, I am finding that the tuning screws are not changing the the tune of the strings. Can anybody provide me with some guidance on what may be the problem? Thank you.
David Martin

Kingsport, TN 37660 USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 5:43 pm    

I had one a long time back. They are pull release. You tune the pedal changes with the tuning keys with pedals down, then release the pedals and bring the open tuning back to pitch with the tuning screws at the end plate. You may have to repeat a few times to get it right. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a long time.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 6:53 pm    

David is right, On a pull and release guitar like the Maverick.

If the guitar is set up Emmons, Left to right the pedals should be A-B-C.
Shove the A pedal down, Tune strings 5 and 10 to C# using the Keys on the Key Head. Release the Pedals, Then go to to screws in the back of the Changer. Using the screws tune the 5th and 10th strings to B.

Shove down Pedal B, Tune 3rd and 6th strings to A, Using the Keys on The Key Head, Release pedals. Then go to screws in back of changer, Using the screws in back of changer, Tune 3rd and 6th strings to G#.

Shove down Pedal C, Tune 4th string to F#, 5th string to C# Using Keys on Key Head, Release Pedals. Using the screws in back of changer. Tune the 4th string to E, The 5th string should return to B.

Now to the key head, Tune strings 1 F#, 2 D#, 7 F#, 8 E, 9 D. Guitar should now be in tune.

If the 5th string does not return to B after tuning to C#, Check the bell cranks they may need the rod moved to a different hole to shorten or lengthen the pull.

Good Luck on your journey with a steel guitar.
Phil Kennelty

New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 9:08 am    

My issue is that the tuning screws don't seem to tighten or loosen the strings. How can I check that they are properly connected and functioning?
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 6:52 pm    

Check the Changer Tuning Screws and make sure they are long enough to to go through the bar and contact the changer fingers. Make sure the fingers touch the adjusting screw with extra threads on screws for adjustment.

With a light look in the slot behind the fingers and see if the screws are long enough to contact the Changer Fingers below the String Ball attachment on the fingers. When the pedal is pushed down, The front of the Finger should contact the body or a stop bar under the guitar, Tune the raise. When the pedal is released the finger should contact the end of the screw. and by turning screw raise or lower the pitch, Till string is open tuned.

Pictures would help see the problem.
Good Luck on tuning the guitar.
Phil Kennelty

New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2023 7:27 am    

Thanks, Bobby. Your explanation helped a lot. Ended up taking out all the pedal rods, re-installing them and tuning the strings they pull on one at a time. Looking at the mechanism helped me understand how the tuning screws were affecting the string tension and the pull of the pedals. I think the better you understand the mechanism, the better you can make adjustments. Pedals are tuned. Now I just have to figure out the knee lever.