| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Legrande III Lower Problem
Austin Harper

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2023 4:58 pm    

Hello, I'm attempting to add a 5th string lower to my Emmons Legrande III. The problem I'm running into is the part of the counterforce mechanism on the changer is preventing the 5th string lower from having it's full range of movement, the finger runs into it and can't really move anymore. Has anyone ran into this themselves? Can the counterforce piece be removed from the changer entirely? I disengaged the whole mechanism shortly after getting the steel and don't really have any cabinet drop problems, so I wouldn't mind fully removing it.

I'll add a picture, you can (hopefully) see the counterforce piece sitting under the 5th string changer finger.

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2023 12:45 pm    

If you're not using the CF at all, there is a pin where the arm in the picture connects to the changer on the top of the guitar, you can drive the pin out and the arm can be removed. For some reason, the arm on some guitars was made at such an angle that it interfered with lowering the 5th string, it can be corrected by bending the arm at a steeper angle.

P.S.

You're 4th and looks like 8th string lowers are overtuned.

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2023 6:42 am    

Kelcey ONeil wrote:
If you're not using the CF at all, there is a pin where the arm in the picture connects to the changer on the top of the guitar, you can drive the pin out and the arm can be removed. For some reason, the arm on some guitars was made at such an angle that it interfered with lowering the 5th string, it can be corrected by bending the arm at a steeper angle.

P.S.

You're 4th and looks like 8th string lowers are overtuned.

Thanks so much for your reply! I noticed the 4th and 8th too, but it was after running into the CF problem so I left it for a future, hopefully more patient me lol. Thanks again!
memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2023 10:55 am    

I used a dremel and cut away part of the counter force to give clearance. Works great.
Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2023 12:15 pm    

I'm so jealous of you peeps with that counter force. Devil

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 7:39 am    

My Legrand 3 had 5Th lower that I put on a vertical and I had no problem I with it and still used counter force. Don’t understand the problem.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 7:46 am    

I think the early LGIII's had the issue and it was later corrected. I don't remember having the issue on a later model SD10 I had.