| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnetic half-stop device
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2023 11:58 am    

Cool idea! If anyone is interested here’s the Wolf Real stop.. I’ve installed a dozen of them over the last 30 years of rebuilding steels, Wolf quit selling me these a few years ago…Very Happy

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2023 11:17 am    

From the pictures of the wolf half stop, The Denton's going into the grove would up the the knee lever tension feel, But as the Denton's hit the grove and adds feel to the half stop, The spring starts to compress and adds load to the knee lever to reach the dead stop note.

Eliminate heavy spring tension, And 2 point mounting, So it could be used on any guitar, Is what I want to design into a half stop.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2023 10:21 am    

the whole concept of the Wolf stop is that it's independent of the rest of the guitar, it will work on any guitar, it's not affected by pull rod diameter or anything else, you only need a place to mount it. In simple terms, it's a basic adjustable stop for a knee lever that happens to allow a secondary stop when you push a little harder. The spring's function is simply to return the shaft to its neutral position (the first stop point for the intermediate note) when the lever is released. It doesn't require significant tension like a traditional spring half stop, where the firmness of the spring itself determines the firmness of the stop, it just requires enough tension to return the shaft to its starting position where the ball plungers settle back into the detente on the shaft. The firmness of the intermediate stop is determined by adjusting the ball plungers. All of this would work the same whether it was a mechanical ball plunger or a neodymium magnet creating that intermediate stop. In either case, when your leg pushes past the intermediate stop, your leg is overcoming that initial force. Something still needs to return the mechanism to it's neutral position when you release the lever, whether it's a spring, the tension of the string(s), or something else

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2023 4:06 pm     following

All very interesting. So far, I'm using half stops on my A pedal and my RKR pedal (and rarely a vertical pedal). I'm curious to see what you all come up with.