| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons LeGrande III Rodding Chart
Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2023 11:17 am    

Hello all,

I recently purchased an Emmons LeGrande III and all of the bell cranks only had a single hole drilled in them. I spoke with Billy Knowles and he said that this was a normal cost saving practice towards the end of the life of the old emmons guitar company. This being so, I would like to replace all of the bell cranks with new 14 hole bellcranks, which I have source and have in hand, so that I can have more micro adjustability on the playability of the guitar.

On to my question... Does anyone have a rodding chart for a LeGrande III that they could share with me as a good starting point as I begin working through replacing the old bell cranks on this guitar? I would prefer not to just "trust" how the guitar is currently rodded.

Thank you!

Jeremy
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2023 3:56 pm    

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2023 5:53 pm     LeGrande lll

Hi Jeremy,I sent you a pm
Larry
Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2023 5:07 am    

Thank you Ian and Larry!
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2023 9:14 am    

Quote:
I recently purchased an Emmons LeGrande III and all of the bell cranks only had a single hole drilled in them. I spoke with Billy Knowles and he said that this was a normal cost saving practice towards the end of the life of the old emmons guitar company.

Well, that's interesting. I had never heard that.

~Lee
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2023 11:14 am    

Jeremy:

It looks like you have it covered. I have a chart for my 1998 SD10 and for my 2000 D10.

Oddly enough, there are slight differences between the two, even when it comes to the basic pulls. Why? I wonder. Surely the optimum settings (changer-hole/bell-crank hole) were pretty much set in stone, yet there are marginal changes in the two years between each of the new guitars I bought from Burlington.

Let me know if you need them and I'll scan them.

Lee: Interesting indeed. I recall dropping in to the factory in its last months and requesting a knee-lever be fitted (a vertical for my C6). There was a slight air of discomfort apparent; it seems that they had no bell-cranks at all! Someone went to their supplier for some but they asked me to pay first. I've often wondered if they were forced to find a temporary solution after that. Maybe the 'one hole' BCs were the result.
Jeremy Moyers

Lubbock, TX
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2023 11:21 am    

Yeah Lee, these bell cranks are aluminum as well. Apparently towards the end of the company they did not have any bell cranks and did not have the funds to order the quantities that they were required to order, so Ron Jr. started making them himself and only drilled the holes that were required for that particular change. They work, but you have zero adjustability if you change things around from the original setup. I thought that it was strange as well....