| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  12 String Strung As A 10 String
Judson Adair

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2023 11:20 am    

I have an MSA Classic D12. I am finding the extra 2 string kind of in the way. Would it hurt anything to just pull the 2 extra strings off and play it as a 12 string? I don't want to accidently damage the instrument.

Thanks,
Jud
Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2023 1:18 pm    

You mean play it as a 10 string, right?

Won't hurt, Judson--but why not get used to the extra 2 strings? Extended E 9 is a great tuning.

I used a D 12 MSA for years . . . but was it heavy! So I ordered a new Carter SD 12.
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2023 7:08 pm    

If you leave them on you'll probably end up enjoying them. If you don't you won't. I play D-12 and it's worth the weight. Very Happy
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2023 5:46 am    

Keep them on, E9th extended or U-12. They aren't in the way. It's just an optical illusion. They just force you to extend your knowledge of E9th or become universal.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2023 1:19 pm    

I would suggest you keep it set up 12 strings, If it is set up Extended E9th. If set up Extended E9th properly, The first 10 strings would be the same as 10 string E9th with the 11th string G#, 12th string E, That gives you a lower octave voicing of strings 4-5-8.

Look at the neck and figure out by fret markers or if necessary stick or lay something on the neck to mark the 8th string location as a base to put picks on right strings.

I found the edge of a fret marker on the 12 string I went to, Lined up with 8th string and helped a lot.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin,
Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2023 3:58 pm    

That's a great idea Bobby. It took a while for my hand to learn where it was.
Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2023 10:55 am    

Bobby D. Jones wrote:

Look at the neck and figure out by fret markers or if necessary stick or lay something on the neck to mark the 8th string location as a base to put picks on right strings.

I actually took a thick black sharpie and "painted" the 8th string in the area near the bridge. As the weeks wore on I began to notice the sound of the string became really strange. By the time I replaced it, muscle memory had done it's job and I no longer needed the visual cue Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA
Judson Adair

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2023 11:01 am    

It is currently set up as:

F#
D#
G#
E
B
G#
F#
E
D
B
G#
B

And I have had it set like this for several years. My issue is the low B will not stay in tune so I just never use it. I have try about upping and lowing the gauges but as soon as I start playing it instantly goes out. I figure since it isn't really usable I might just get rid of it.

And yes this thing is crazy heavy. I bought it most because I just got a great deal on it from someone local. I don't really play the C6 neck at all. At some point I would like to just get a s10 of some kind. It just really isn't in the budget currently.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2023 12:35 pm    

I see nothing wrong with stringing and playing it as a D10. A D12 guitar is the least popular configuration, and I see no sense in playing a setup that you’re not going to stick with. D10 and S10 guitars are still the “standards”, with the S12 as a distant third in terms of popularity. Why buck convention?

Sooner or later, most of us come to realize that the biggest “limiting factor” (if there really is one), lies between the seat and the steel. Oh Well
Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 22 Jun 2023 1:39 pm    

Judson; Before you decide-- do check out this short video by Rick Schmidt showing his Infinity with the Extended E9. I think it's what got me going on it. >>>>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUiMp_I-O0